Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Do-It-Yourself Section (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/)
-   -   Windows roll up/down slow? heres your fix! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/do-yourself-section-26/windows-roll-up-down-slow-heres-your-fix-12633/)

korrupt1 09-19-2007 05:26 PM

Windows roll up/down slow? heres your fix!

Well heres a REAL cheap fix I learned about and figured I would share with you guys

Parts needed:
1 Large box or bag of Q-tips (get good quality, strong type Q-tips)
1 bottle of rubbing alcohol (nothing fancy, just plain old rubbing alcohol)
1 can of Silicone Spray lubricant (I use Pyroil which was availiable at Checker/Shucks/Kragen)

Roll your windows all the way down

Get out your Q-tips and alcohol and wet a Q-tip

Start wiping the window track with the Q-tip (you will do this ALOT and will take several Q-tips!)

After you are 100% sure the track is clean ( I rolled my windows back up and continued every inch of my track) take your silicone spray lubricant and spray the window track (use the little red tube to minimize mess) and allow to sit for a few minutes....repeat with a second spray of lubricant.

Continue on all windows/tracks and then enjoy your windows rolling up and down faster as they used too....I have done this on every car I have ever had power windows on and it really works and has saved me hundreds of $$ instead of buying new window motors and such.

The Q-tips will get incredibly dirty and it will take ALOT of wiping (On my Accord I went through more than 500 Q-tips) but the money saved from not having to buy a new motor was definitely worth the time

(you can removed the door panels and clean also that way if really want to get into but again, the money saved is really worth it)

Enjoy those windows going up and down quickly again! ;)

falkore24 09-19-2007 06:18 PM

RE: Windows roll up/down slow? heres your fix!

LOL ..... you got moved to Appearance?!? .... ok?!

HuYnHness 09-19-2007 06:27 PM

this doesnt seem like it fits anywhere and most of us just go to these sections not the general tech section. what exactly are you cleaning? the part around the window that you can see or the actual track thats inside the door? and im guessin this helps from not overworking your motor from a dirty track?

korrupt1 09-19-2007 08:42 PM

yea I am in the appearance section....wanted to be in the DIY section! lol!

and huYnhess, yea, the actual track itself, top to bottom and it will save the window motors from working so hard from the dirty tracks. I did the little trick on my 88 civic after learning about it and saved over $400 since thats what I was quoted for the replacement motors....also did on my 92 Legend and saved those motors as well and did the Accord and was really relieved that my passenger motor wasn't as shot as I thought it was at first. ;)

falkore24 09-19-2007 09:15 PM

Do you also take the door panels off to do the inside? They're likely to be almost as dirty. ..... dangit, there's something that I don't clean on the car?!? Are the tracks felt or rubber (I'm inside now)?

korrupt1 09-19-2007 09:29 PM

Mine were felt all the way through....started at the top and worked my way down following the entire track the window guides through

kicking yourself for finding a new part to clean? [sm=bustedsign.gif]

accords own 09-19-2007 10:17 PM

does this affect tinted windows? it sounds like it might! if it does, make sure to add that to the post.

falkore24 09-19-2007 10:23 PM

true!!! alcohol kills tint adhesive. I found out the hard way that alcohol is the ONLY hosehold item that will remove the glue!!! I couldn't believe it when lighter fluid didn't work!!!

korrupt1 09-19-2007 10:42 PM

but your wiping all the alcohol away with continued Q-tip treatment and then the silicone spray removes any excess alcohol.....have never had any window tint troubles.......acetone removes window tint glue really well too....rip off old tint, spray some acetone, scrape with a flat razor....clean window ready for new tints......and I use a hair dryer to remove the rear tint....slow process but it works! [&:]

falkore24 09-19-2007 11:16 PM

I tried acetone ..... it might not have been the 100% approved as a gas addative kind, but tried and failed. As for the Q-Tipping the alcohol, I see your point, but I think I'll try it with something that I know won't take off the tint ..... hehe, maybe lighter fluid! Are you sure that what came out was just crap and not the dye from the felt? I'm also concerned with degrading the felt, so maybe I'll try with water and dilute cleaner. I'll have to look into what cleaners are good for felt .... I'm a building engneer and felt is a waterproofing membrane. I'm sure that at least one of the architects in my office has the answer! .... and I love to email the entire office with non-work stuff, LOL (about 50 people ... not a huge outfit).