Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   "Whirring" Sound Near Timing Belt (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/%22whirring%22-sound-near-timing-belt-12562/)

eaglesclaw121 09-16-2007 08:11 PM

"Whirring" Sound Near Timing Belt

My 2003 Accord has 70,000 miles. I've just noticed a loud whirring noise, which sounds a lot like a dentist's drill when accelerating. I'm assuming the timing belt has to be replaced?Any idea of the cost of this and how many hours it would take for a mechanic to do it? Should it be done at a Honda service center?

sir_nasty 09-17-2007 10:44 AM

RE: "Whirring" Sound Near Timing Belt

It could be a bad drive belt, a bad timing belt or a failing bearing or water pump... I'd try to diagnose it first but if it was in fact a timing belt I'd get it done ASAP, also have them do the seals in there and the water pump, total parts and labor is probably around $400 on up (average is closer to $550.00 with the variances from shop to shop) and I would only trust a Honda specific mechanic or a dealership.

eaglesclaw121 09-17-2007 05:50 PM

the diagnosis - thoughts?

I was told the belts are fine, but they found a slight leak in the pump, which resulted in the power steering fluid to leak. I was told everything should be fine now, but to keep an eye on the pump. I still hear the whirring noise. Any thoughts?

sir_nasty 09-17-2007 05:54 PM

RE: the diagnosis - thoughts?

What did they say was causing the noise? If you took it in because of the noise and they said there was a leak of some sort but they fixed it and the noise is still there how do they consider that fixed?

I suppose it's possible that it's a bearing in the power steering pump going out. What kind of shop did you take it to?

eaglesclaw121 09-17-2007 05:58 PM

RE: the diagnosis - thoughts?

that's just what they said - a bearing in the pump. I was told the noise could be there for the life of the car. did I get screwed?

deserthonda 09-17-2007 06:20 PM

is it a 4cyl or v6 ??
4 cyl does not have a belt , starting in 2003 accord has a chain
if it is a v6 could be the alternator ,, i have seen quite a few of these babies go bad..
Please input year and model in your signature

as for the work , I would reccomend a shop that specializes on Hondas . they are a lot cheaper than the dealer and should use all Honda factory parts .
. if none around, i would suggest the dealer

eaglesclaw121 09-17-2007 07:13 PM

It's a 6 cylinder - the mechanic did mention the alternator but did not believe it was the problem.My power steering fluid was drastically low when i checked it this morning - it would seem to me a leak in the power steering pump would make sense.
Assuming they're right, how long would a PS pump last with a minor leak?

00AccordLX5spd 09-18-2007 10:53 AM

It all depends where the leak is. The power steering lines are highly pressurized. If one of those lines springs a leak anywhere, you'll know in a hurry. With the amount of pressure on the system, I wouldn't imagine a leaky pump would last too long either, but I could be wrong.
Did the shop do any repairs? Or did they just tell you it would be fine? Is it a Honda certified shop?

sir_nasty 09-18-2007 01:32 PM

I may be misreading this but from what I understand you were told that "there was/is a minor leak, the PS pump bearing is making noise and may do it for the life of the car or it could be the alternator but they doubt it." And then they claimed to have fixed the leak and yet your fluid was low this morning? Personally I'd find a new shop, a honda specific one if possible, also, keep an eye on that PS Fluid, it's possible that the bearing in there is going bad, getting hot and causing the fluid to overheat, bubble and spew out but usually you'd notice that.

Where did they find the leak to begin with?

deserthonda 09-18-2007 01:41 PM

it could also be the a/c idler pulley bearing i have seen a few of those as well