Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   03 Accord EX, oil recommendation (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/03-accord-ex-oil-recommendation-63451/)

vwtech 06-13-2016 09:26 AM

03 Accord EX, oil recommendation

The last oil change the dealer put in 5w-30 because I had and oil leak (passenger side of engine-they resealed the timing chain cover and replaced the crank seal).
Now that I been driving leak free for about 1500miles, I wonder if I should go back to 5w-20 or stick with the 5w-30. Yesterday I checked the oil and it was near the middle two holes on the dip stick. I think it is starting to burn oil now (at times a can smell a hint of it burning).

The car is 2003 Accord couple EX 4cyl with 183K. To this point I haven't used any high mileage,synthetic or synthetic blend oil. I've been taking it to the dealership for oil changes up until the last oil change. At the moment it's running Castrol (dino) 5w-30.

My question is at this point is: Should I go back to dino 5w-20, or switch to dino high mileage (Pennzoil has High Mileage 5w-20 that isn't synthetic blend). Your thought are welcomed.

shipo 06-13-2016 10:06 AM

A few comments:
  • Changing from 5W-20 to 5W-30 (and back if desired) will have no affect on oil consumption.
  • If your smell burning oil, it is most likely coming from a leak and not from being burned.
  • If you're inclined to stay with short oil change intervals, using conventional oil will be perfectly acceptable; if you want to go longer than the factory OCI recommendation, only use synthetic.

poorman212 06-13-2016 05:16 PM

Call me cheap and trying to consolidate oils between cars - I've been running 5w-30 syn oil in my '07 Pilot for the last ~80K miles. Even a recent addition to the fleet, the '07 Accord got the 5w-30 since I already had the oil and filter, wanted to change it soon after buying it as you never know what the seller really did.

Agree with "shipo", if you are smelling oil burning then you have another leak somewhere that I would look into......or you are still burning off old oil from the previous leak :shrug:

vwtech 06-14-2016 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 369552)
Call me cheap and trying to consolidate oils between cars - I've been running 5w-30 syn oil in my '07 Pilot for the last ~80K miles. Even a recent addition to the fleet, the '07 Accord got the 5w-30 since I already had the oil and filter, wanted to change it soon after buying it as you never know what the seller really did.

Agree with "shipo", if you are smelling oil burning then you have another leak somewhere that I would look into......or you are still burning off old oil from the previous leak :shrug:

I got the shop light and cardboard out last night. After allowing the car to sit for a few hours I didn't see any drops on the floor. Shining a light around the engine didn't reveal any leaks either. Beginning to think that the large amount of grim on the engine is the smell. I also noted the dip stick and will review it again in 1000miles from now.
Think this weekend I'll spray it down with regular simplegreen and a mist spray setting on my hose.
Just being curious, which brand 5w-30 syn you using?

poorman212 06-16-2016 06:13 PM

I use a "house brand" oil from a parts store I trust....I'm an inventory manager for a large automotive aftermarket supplier and can get my hands on the "formula" of the oil our supplier makes and puts our name on it.

I do keep an eye on "wally mart" price for the 5qt jugs, they will sometimes have good sale prices on Pennzoil...then add there is a mail in rebate (running from Jan 1 to Dec 31 2016) of $2 per qt (so the five qt jug would get you $10 back).

Since I have at least three cars that can and I will use the 5w-30 in, I'll compare the prices and pick up a "jug" when the price is right or when I'm out....knowing I will use it at some point.

We all have our opinions on oil brands and filters and I don't want to start a debate about either (and will lock this thread if it turns into one, because I can :)). There are also the parts stores "oil change specials" which you can get the jug of oil and a filter for a pretty good price, just my personal opinion but most of the time the filter they offer with the special is not a brand I want to use....again, we all have our opinions on these things.

Best advise, CHECK the oil level on a regular basis and change the oil on a regular basis.....another debate starter, change the oil/filter when it makes you sleep better at night or when the "reminder" says you should.

vwtech 08-02-2016 08:20 AM

I stopped at my local dealership parts area just to pick up a couple oil drain plug washers; ended up talk oil with a technician. I covered my next decision with him (just to see what his take would be). He said that since the previous leak was fixed he would recommend going back to 5w20 (non-syn). Confirmation was given on my oil usage between oil changes for my age and mileage (1/2-1quart) was said to be normal. Long story short- I'm at 185K and just poured in first high mileage oil. I selected Pennzoil High Mileage 5w20 because it's a normal conventional without any synthetic or blend stuff. Now to continue my quest to 200K.

dgp1961 08-04-2016 12:03 PM

Your sweating the oil thing way to much. One oil or another isn't going to make any significant changes at all. Continue changing it and use the recommended viscosity...Period...

shipo 08-04-2016 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by vwtech (Post 370661)
I stopped at my local dealership parts area just to pick up a couple oil drain plug washers; ended up talk oil with a technician. I covered my next decision with him (just to see what his take would be). He said that since the previous leak was fixed he would recommend going back to 5w20 (non-syn). Confirmation was given on my oil usage between oil changes for my age and mileage (1/2-1quart) was said to be normal. Long story short- I'm at 185K and just poured in first high mileage oil. I selected Pennzoil High Mileage 5w20 because it's a normal conventional without any synthetic or blend stuff. Now to continue my quest to 200K.

I agree with dgp1961, you are WAY over thinking this oil thing.

FWIW, all 5W-20 oils have a fair amount of synthetic in their base stocks; this is by design. For my part, I only use 0W-20 in my Hondas and Mazdas as this grade is always fully synthetic.

Johanson2424 11-07-2016 11:38 AM

5W-20 Mobil One, with a Mobil One filter always.... (bosch filter is good as well) always full synthetic and always mobil one!