Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   1996 Accord EX coupe VTEC (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/1996-accord-ex-coupe-vtec-9016/)

bayboy164 04-18-2007 06:56 PM

1996 Accord EX coupe VTEC

hey all my new best friends! i just bought a 96 accord coupe vtec last week. it's in real good shape cosmetically and mechanically from what i can gather so far. it has 116xxx miles. and it's a standard.
so here's the thing..i want to do all the maintenence on the car myself because the engine compartment is big enough to see all the parts. so my question is, what is some good plugs and oil to put in at this point? any suggestions?? also, i need to change my brake pads since they've started squeeking! anything that i should know that might hinder me or suprise me? all suggestions are appreciated guys! thanks!
bayboy

ckebottle 04-18-2007 07:11 PM

RE: 1996 Accord EX coupe VTEC

Welcome dude! Probably do your plugs and wires, air filter, maybe tranny oil, and if it hasn't been done get your timing belt water pump and seals. I've done most of the stuff i've listed and i'm an amatuer with cars. I opted to have someone do my timing belt, water pump and seals. I didn't want to mess up my engine. If you choose to have someone do yours stay away from the dealer! Dealer wanted 800 for the job. I bought the parts online and took it to the local mechanic and he did it for 300 and car runs great! Parts were 166 from majestic honda (try to use oem parts). Also use ngk plugs (not sure about the specifc nbr) and oem wires.

For brakes i'd check them out first. Mine were squeaking when I first bought my car and they looked brand new. They were not oem, so I guess that's why the were squeaking.. If you do need to replace the pads try to get oem because they don't squeak as much. I think there's like one bolt for the brakes after you take your tire off if I remember correctly. It's pretty easy.

As for oil I'm about to do an oil change. I used pennzoil last and car seemed fine. I'm going to put some castrol high mileaged oil and see if it helps. I'll let you know how the high mileage stuff goes.

sssexy70 04-18-2007 07:12 PM

Welcome to the 1994-1997 fan club... anyone in any post will say to get the NGK plugs... iridiums are great... put on some good ngk wires as well while you're at it... oil is in the book (sorry, I don't remember at this moment), and the breaks should be easy for you, just watch because some accords have a special bolt on it that is impossible to take off without honda's help... unless anyone on this forum knows a secret that I don't... but you probably won't have that problem...

Enjoy your new car!

maro 04-19-2007 01:12 PM

Hey hey, welcome. As you can see on my signature.. I have the same ride. Except I have a few more miles than you. I've done a bunch of stuff to my car since I got it in Nov. I put in NGK plugs (irridium). Irridiums tend to have needle tips. I will be replacing my irriduim needle tips before next winter. They tend to have cold start issues. search a hondadude post for more info. I would get the regular NGK. get the wires too. Do you have a manual or auto. If manual, make sure you use Honda MTF when changing your tranny fluid.

Let's see, so far I have cleaned my EGR ports, replaced my drivers side window regulator, added a AEM Short Ram intake, installed an Exedy Clutch, new CV Joint (replaced the whole axle), added NGK plugs, changed my MTF with Honda MFT.

Still to come- Installing a short shifter from Forbidden Motors, Paint touch up for clear coat delamintation, I need new wires, rotor, dist., new tires, front rotors replaced and I want to add a spoiler. all in due time. My only issue with this car right now, is my drivers seat is really really uncomfortable.

Anyway, it's a fun car, looks slick and will hold re-sell value. Have fun!!

bayboy164 04-19-2007 03:47 PM

hey all, THANKS!! i think i'll go with all of your suggestions on the plugs and wires...i guess oil is oil huh? i was thinking maybe RedLine oil..
i'm going to be doing a catback on the exhaust and probably a K&N filter...cold air or regular??
again guys, thanks! this is my new favorite site!!

davidg99 04-09-2011 10:06 PM

The NGK iridium plugs are pretty much the oem plugs! I just got some NGK platinums today, I haven't had a chance to put them in yet. I've been spending most of my day installing a CAI. A bigger pain in the butt than my last car. As for wires, I would either go with OEM or if your going to mod your rig like there was no tomorrow, then I would either get some Accel or MSD.

fpontarolo 12-18-2011 05:54 PM

1996 Accord coupe vetc

Nothing toadd, but I just bought the same car 2weeks ago. I love it. 173,000 miles. I've been searching threads. This is my first post.

Scottwax 12-19-2011 08:24 PM

NGK plugs and wires work great. I'd go with good quality ceramic pads, they do a nice job stopping the car and prevent the build-up of brake dust.

Cold air intake and a header will wake the engine up nicely. An H22 swap even more.

Archie 05-13-2012 12:39 AM

1996 honda accord

Hey guys am new here !
I have a 1996 honda accord ex coup
Just got it a few days ago
Its got a 5 speed
I paid $500 for it
Its in decent shape

This would be my first ex 5 speed
Just wanted to know what do you guys think about this type car?
Is it worth putting money in it
Thanks