Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   1997 accord a/t needs help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/1997-accord-t-needs-help-1737/)

realmc1969 01-18-2006 05:05 PM

1997 accord a/t needs help

The transmission in my 1997 honda accord v6 just went out. It is very expensive to rebuild and the other option is buying a used one which are very hard to come by just because of the rarity of the v6 transmission. I was thinking of swapping the v6 for a four cylinder most likely a vtec because there are a lot of those motors for sale that come with a transmission. What motors and transmission would be compatible and what would be involved in swapping them out, what parts would match up and what wouldn't?

lightshow 01-18-2006 07:12 PM

RE: 1997 accord a/t needs help

call lkq first. they should be able to find you a transmission for under 750 dollars which would be much less expensive than a motor swap. but if you do go with a swap get an h22. and there is alot involved. plan on spending about 2000 to put it in yourself and prolly 4000 to get it done cheaply. back in the day i had a used h22 put into my prelude at a shop and it was 6500.

lightshow

realmc1969 01-19-2006 08:59 PM

well i found an f22b vtec with a tranny for under 700 out of a 97 accord. Do you know about how much it would take to make that where it would fit or would it just be a lot simpler to buy a new transmission. I just would also really like to make the car a lot quicker and there just isn't much that i can find to do to the v6 motor

lightshow 01-20-2006 06:05 AM

your car will be about 1.5 seconds slower to 60 with that motor. thats a huge deal. if i could take 1.5 seconds off my car, it would seriously feel like a rocket powered wagon. an RPW for short lol..... no seriously the front clip of your car was made differently to accomodate that v6 motor. it would seriously be a custom fabbed job to put a 4cyl in there. the project would be absolutely menacing. try it if you want. if you do let us know what exactly was needed to get that motor in there. i mean it would fit. just the mounts to start with would have to be completely custom. accord axles may work but they may also need to be custom fabbed. what i do know is the front end of your car is different than the 4cyl model. and there is plenty of **** for your motor. damn even if you just put an intake on it. youve got the old acura legend motor in your car. its a tried and true outstanding motor that was designed to last 750k miles. but....headers and exhaust are also avail for your car. a supercharger or turbo charger wouldnt be that hard either for your car.

lightshow

EMEX 01-25-2006 07:59 AM

I think you'll spend a lot more money on the swap and buying all the parts and labor then just replacing your tranny.

lightshow 01-25-2006 09:54 PM

absolutely your car was made a little different to accomodate the v6 motor, a 4cyl wont come close to bolting right in or anything

lightshow