Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   1998 Accord 4 cyl VTEC solenoid gasket (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/1998-accord-4-cyl-vtec-solenoid-gasket-53064/)

datman 02-17-2013 04:52 PM

1998 Accord 4 cyl VTEC solenoid gasket

Hi there,

I see an oil leak (more like a gush) at the base of the VTEC valve solenoid. I'm aware of the gasket for the entire assembly, 15825-P0A-015, but as writers in other forums have noted, there is no gasket for just the top section. One forum string mentioned 36172-P0A-005 for 95-96 accords as a possible fit but the writer had tried that part and found it was a little thinner and still left a slight leak (which would be an improvement, but I'd prefer no leak).

Does anyone know of a gasket/o-ring that would work in my situation? I hate to spend $110 to replace a part that works just to stop the oil leak.

Would RTV work in this case? I've never used RTV as a gasket replacement and worry a bit about applying too much or not enough. Too much could squeeze out and block passages. Too little will leak.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Doug

JimBlake 02-17-2013 09:27 PM

I just looked at the parts drawing & it shows the whole spool valve as one assembly. If you remove the triangle flange at top (to remove the VTEC solenoid) there should be an O-ring up there.

But I don't know where to get a new O-ring. It was available separately for a 95 Integra I used to own, but I don't know if it was the same size O-ring.

There's an O-ring for the VTEC oil-pressure switch. Try the 95 Integra GSR O-ring, or try the Honda one for the switch, either one probably doesn't cost much money.

vduran529 02-18-2013 01:06 PM

i work at a honda dealer and unfortunatly they dont offer the o-ring under the flange and im pretty sure rtv would more likely clog the soleniod rather then fix ur problem. ive worked at an advance auto and from my experience it might be a good idea to take the o ring out and take it to a local auto parts see if they can match 1 up for u. they hav boxes of o-rings so if ur lucky they'll be able to get something close to what u need.

datman 02-19-2013 07:59 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered the 97 o-ring and will see how that goes. If it still leaks, I will go to my local parts store and search for a better match. If it still leaks, I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay $120 for a new part. I'll post my results when it's all done.

Especially thanks for the RTV comment. That was my thought too.

Doug

phantom699 02-19-2013 02:48 PM

I have just recently took apart and replaced my gaskets for the vtec solenoid. there are 3 gaskets that tend to give way and start to leak, even if there is no oil pressure loss.

There are only 3 bolts that hold ur vtec solenoid to the back of the engine, and it is fairly simple to remove. the top 2 bolts are easiest to get to and change but the very bottum will give you trouble.

*you might just wat to buy a new solenoid for 10bucks thats in good working order and install it urself within 15-25mins. if not, you can sometimes find the seals on ebay or contact jdm/honda for the part #s

datman 03-13-2013 09:54 PM

As promised, I'm following up with my experience using the 97 gasket on the top of the 98 VTEC solenoid. It seems to be a complete success! I am not seeing any leaking out of the top.

I had to also change the gasket (o-ring and filter) between the VTEC body and the head and the o-ring on the oil pressure sending unit. For just three bolts, it was a bit of a pain. I had to remove the thermostat housing to get to the bolts. None of it was hard, just involved for three bolts.

The end result of changing all VTEC gaskets is amazing. Instead of a small puddle on the floor, I have a drop after sitting overnight. I'm guessing the rear main might have a slight leak, but it's nothing compared to the VTEC.

JimBlake 03-14-2013 07:49 AM

Good deal. THANK YOU for the follow-up.

Hondahank 03-13-2014 10:12 PM

I just located my oil leak to the solenoid on the cylinder head assembly, it has a triangle shaped base, '96 vtec btw, the O-ring gasket is part 12, of the solenoid assembly no 11, that I'm told is leaking. The noid costs $250, the O-ring $1.00. The spring loaded valve must be taken apart with care I'm sure. Has anyone replaced just the ring with luck, or does the entire solenoid need replaced ? I'm told it lubes the v-techs valves.

datman 03-14-2014 08:17 AM

Have you watched this video?

If by "taking apart" you mean the top half you don't have to worry about the spring loaded valve. It's easy to take apart. I found that base attachment to the head was also leaking quite a bit. The solenoid doesn't lube the VTEC valves. It uses oil pressure to activate the VTEC valves under certain conditions.

Hondahank 03-14-2014 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by datman (Post 342181)
Have you watched this video?
Honda Accord VTEC Solenoid Gaskets Replacement - YouTube

If by "taking apart" you mean the top half you don't have to worry about the spring loaded valve. It's easy to take apart. I found that base attachment to the head was also leaking quite a bit. The solenoid doesn't lube the VTEC valves. It uses oil pressure to activate the VTEC valves under certain conditions.

Thanks so much datman, very informative video, hopefully I won't have to remove the entire v-tech valve. It really appears to be leaking,dripping,from the back of the triangle shaped base instead of running down the head where it mounts to the head. Obviously I'll have to be very careful not to drop the first piece above the piston. I'll post after I pick up the gasket at Honda tomorrow morning when it's suppose to be in and I replace it. The gasket against the head will most likely be next, for now I believe it's the one between the top and bottom halves. Thanks again for the vid ! Greatly appreciated !!