Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2.7 v6 passenger side oil leak (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2-7-v6-passenger-side-oil-leak-12204/)

honda97valdeez 09-03-2007 02:36 PM

2.7 v6 passenger side oil leak

Hi, I have a 97 accord ex-r v6 (2.7l)(auto) that leaks A LOT of oil from a spot just above the oil filter, behind the belt and pulley. Any ideas?
I am hoping this is a loose bolt that I can't see, or a gasket that is failed. The car has 145,000 miles-I've had it for about 1000 of them. I really am concerned that I bought a car that has been overheated previously, but the engine fires right up and runs smoothly from idle (900 rpm) on up to 5500(highest I've gone).
I need to fix the oil leak before I look into the hydraulic steering boot and leak(dang!)
Thanks for any suggestions.

Chiovnidca 09-03-2007 03:20 PM

RE: 2.7 v6 passenger side oil leak

Are the valve cover gaskets leaking? Are the side cover gaskets leaking?

honda97valdeez 09-03-2007 03:36 PM

The front valve cover is clean, the front sideplate may have a little blow-by.
The back is covered in filth,but I can't see any wet spots.
I think the grime may hide the real source of the problem.
The oil actually drips off of the oil filter after apparently running down from the area above the filter attachment point.
Is that the area of the oil pump and oil sending unit?
Does the oil filter screw onto a peice which bolts onto the block?
It looks like the filter screws onto an aluminum neck-like thing that attaches to the block. I will add pictures when I get home tonight.
This may be for another thread, but will I hurt the situation by degreasing the engine for better inspection, and what is the popularly used method for cleaning honda engines?
Thank you for the quick response.
P.s. the pics I took today are all 1.5mb- the upload only allows 500 kb. if i can get theresolution low enough I'll post em.

00AccordLX5spd 09-04-2007 08:49 AM

It is not leaking from the filter attachment point itself is it? Have you changed the oil and filter to make sure the filter did not have a double gasket on it, or is just a faulty filter?

honda97valdeez 09-04-2007 01:52 PM

This morning I removed the splash guard and took some lowest resolution pics that I will upload tonight. It looks like the rear sideplate is leaking also( thanks for the idea chicovndca). The camara I have is small, so I stuck it up behind the engine and snapped a few, they show oil leaking from the passenger side of the sideplate at the bottom edge.
I hope the pics upload ok, and help show what I'm trying to describe.
Do you guys think I should buy a gasket/o-ring kit or only the individual gaskets? I kinda feel like just doing all the gaskets I can and hoping for the best.
Tonight I am also going to start a thread (or find an old one if it exists) about the hydraulic steering mechanism and it's replacement.
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES!!!

EDIT: Just up loaded the pics. The first sucks. The second shows the area where the filter housing bolts to the block, the third shows the bottom of the passenger side of the rear side cover plate.
I am about to degrease the thing, so hopefully it won't fall apart when I hit it with the waterhose!
Thanks.

honda97valdeez 09-07-2007 04:41 PM

Well, the car is at the dealership.
The bad news was I was right about the "oil filter adapter housing" gasket.
The good news is that the dealership is fixing the leak at no charge(at least that is the initial statment from the lady at the service desk)!
They say maybe a few days into next week she'll be ready.
I am stoked.

sir_nasty 09-07-2007 04:48 PM

That'd be great if it turns out to be true! Did they do your last oil change or something?

honda97valdeez 09-07-2007 05:23 PM

yup. I changed it again hoping the leak was the filter gasket, but oh well.
The dealer isn't even a honda place. Small towns rule.

honda97valdeez 09-13-2007 11:08 AM

Got the car back, no leaks, NO BILL! SWEET!!!
Well, no leaks other than the steering mechanism, but that looks like an easy replacement.
I'll post up on the tech(?) section.
[sm=alcoholic.gif]