Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2004 Honda Accord - Transmission fluid empty (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2004-honda-accord-transmission-fluid-empty-54728/)

Kerri 05-08-2013 08:18 PM

2004 Honda Accord - Transmission fluid empty

My car has around 134,000 miles on it and yesterday I started noticing a problem while lightly accelerating. It would act like it was in neutral gear for a second then be fine and keep going. This was just occasionally, but today I couldn't even make it up a hill at all. While I was waiting for the tow truck, I called a friend and he suggested checking the fluid level. Bone dry. I hadn't noticed any puddles on pavement anywhere, so I don't know where it went. I added a couple quarts of fluid and was able to make it up the hill. However, the hesitating started up again, now more frequently. Another friend suggested I add more fluid. Now there are three quarts fluid, and my Malfunction Indicator Lamp has come on, and my car won't even move, like it's in neutral again. A few minutes later it's fine, then sometimes not. The green "D" light on the dashboard had started blinking, which I guess is an indicator that the car isn't going to move. Anyway, this same friend said I had now overfilled the fluid which is why the D light has started to blink. My question, then, is why was the fluid empty to begin with? I had the oil changed a month or so ago and the mechanic didn't say anything about low transmission fluid. Could this problem have developed as quickly as within a month? Please help, thank you.

TexasHonda 05-08-2013 08:28 PM

AT fluid was missing because of a leak. Likely coolant hose or radiator fault.

Mechanic probably did not check the AT or the leak began afterward. It had to start sometime.

Have engine/trans codes checked by AZ or other auto parts store. Write them down and post the codes, not the problem associated w/ code.

good luck

Kerri 05-10-2013 10:10 PM

The engine code is P0756. I found out recently that the solenoid had been recalled some years ago, but don't recall receiving a letter about it, or if my specific Accord was included in the recall. One article I found said it was just for the V6 ones.

TexasHonda 05-11-2013 09:12 AM

P0756 is a fault in the Solenoid B. However its a hydraulic fault, not an electrical. Usual reason is debris from worn trans parts. See following link for additional details.

OBD2-OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code P0756 HONDA - Shift Solenoid B Stuck Off | Engine-Codes.com

Note, calls for change of ATF. Have you tried this? Least expensive and might help. You could also remove solenoid B and check for debris perhaps blocking the valve.

good luck

Kerri 05-22-2013 08:22 PM

Took to a shop and they said whatever part that controls the front wheel drive in the transmission was broken, so they replaced it with a used transmission. Now, I have a shifting problem. I put it in park, but my car doesn't realize it's in part, and can't turn the key all the way off to remove it. So, I shift it from gear to gear slowly then basically shove it back into park, then I'm able to remove the key. Never had this problem before the transmission replacement. Can't be a coincidence.

HateThisHonda 05-22-2013 08:55 PM

Sounds kinda like a bad neutral safety switch, could be wrong, but my thinking is that if its malfunctioning that it could cause the key to not release based on the fact that the car 'thinks' its still in gear. Anyone disagree?

TexasHonda 05-23-2013 11:57 AM

Problem w/ difficulty in removing key can be caused by a couple of faults:

1) brake lights not working - If brake lights are not coming on, you can't shift the gear select lever

2) shift lock solenoid adjustment can get off enough to not unlock and prevent shifting.

Check brake lights first. Shop manual has adjustment procedures for shift lock solenoid.

good luck