Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2005 Honda Accord Engine Rattling (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2005-honda-accord-engine-rattling-6259/)

Gage05 12-03-2006 01:45 PM

2005 Honda Accord Engine Rattling

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to ask a question about what sounds like a valve rattling noise that I'm hearing. I own a 2005 Honda Accord V6 LX SE AT. Does anyone else have a 2005 with a similar problem?

I hear it on my Accord when the engine is cold between 2000 and 3000 RPM. Once the engine warms up, after about 10 minutes, the rattling goes away and everything is nice and quite. Currently I have slightly less than 19,000 miles on the car, and I began noticing the noise around 15,000 miles.

The main reason I'm asking the question is I've taken the car to 3 different dealers. One of them wouldn't admit to anything or that they even heard the noise. The second one said that Honda is using less aluminum in the I Block than previous models and offered to give me special consideration regarding the issue if anything were to happen to the engine beyond the warranty. The third dealer said the noise is inherent in the model and it's realated to the shape of the pistons so there isn't much they can do.

I've contacted Honda Customer relations regarding the issue, but they weren't very helpful.

Has anyone been to the dealer about this, and if so what did they tell you? I would greatly appricieate any help anyone can give.

Thanks for your time!

YeuEmMaiMai 12-03-2006 02:09 PM

RE: 2005 Honda Accord Engine Rattling

have dealer check for excessive journal wear......if the valves are within spec

nyclocoengineer 02-02-2007 07:43 AM

Not that this gonna help your problem any...I have a 2002 Accord with a 4 cyl Vtech and I have a very similar issue. No one knows what it is and the best they can tell me is to wit for something to brake and then we'll know what it is. Don't worry, you're not nuts and it is SOOOOOO frustrating!!! Good luck :-) John

legionofone 02-02-2007 03:41 PM

where is the rattle coming from and give me more description of it... if its from the front middle back, head or block, now dont give me i think its a valve or something just location and also give me a desent description of the sound... rattle isent much... is it a rattle like a baby rattle a clicking a chirping... go out pop the hood and look (also the i-vtec heads click a little normaly so if thats ur problem dont worry)

slomo1983 02-05-2007 08:00 AM

i have an 04 accord with the same engine in it.... it makes a "click" "click" "click" noise from the rear bank that changes with engine speed... i dont know when mine started... but the car has 74k on it and runs just fine... it has had it for a while... i use synthetic motor oil and high dollar filters because of how mush i drive it.... and i have noticed that the noise is just realy annoying... i dont seem to have any problems...

my noise is comming from the top of the #1 cylinder in the valve cover... but like i said it runs fine.... i do have a loss of power but it has been through a lot so it needs a tune up... but other than that mine is great....

NVA_AV6 04-19-2007 10:45 AM

Ok, probably not quite what you want to hear, but. From my experience one strong possibility is that the cam timing for the rear is out, I base this on your statement that the sound is heard from the rear head and have run into this myself onmy 03 Pilot after changing the timing belt. In my specific case it was caused by a Cardone aftermarket water pump. Theshaft bushing moved in a bad casting after about 1K miles andwas almost 10mmHigher (away from the crank)than the factory one and this created a "Out of Sync" issue with the cams where the rear cam was almost one full tooth out with the front and crank timing marks.

I would suggest setting the engine to TDC by the crank and then checking the alighnment of both cams, there are 2 peepholes with rubber covers on the Pilot and a small mirror and light were needed to see them clearly.

Hope this helps.

legionofone 04-19-2007 03:22 PM

do the J30s have timing belts? sucks to be them... MMMM K has nice chains!!!

if ur getting a click like tap tap tap tap... ur vavles are just out of adjustment... its no biggie... almost all K series have the problem 2...

NVA_AV6 04-19-2007 03:43 PM

All Js have a belt.

03Sleeper 04-20-2007 12:51 AM

I get this weird rattling noise while I'm idling at drive or complete to a stop in drive. Is it because I removed the resonator? It goes away as soon as I accelerate. I think it's coming from the intake area (?) not sure...

fabulous010 04-21-2007 04:03 AM

it could jsut be ur heat shield over ur headers... LOL arent hondas knowns for that... :S