Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2006 Honda Accord V6 Engine Question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2006-honda-accord-v6-engine-question-14956/)

driver 12-28-2007 10:40 AM

2006 Honda Accord V6 Engine Question

My wife just bought a used 2006 Honda Accord EX-LV6 and it seems like it's in great shape. I've couple things about the engine I had questions on and I'm hoping someone here can help answer these.

1. When I look at the top of the engine I noticed there is piece that has the word "HONDA" on it which is machined smoothly but then around it engine surface is not machined smoothly. It's actually rough and unfinished looking. Is that normal?

2. Engine runs great and even when ideling in drive it runs very smooth but when idleling while in park I feel slight vibration (repeating two thumping then pause)coming from the engine. Does this engine need tuning? It only has 27k on it and engine runs great otherwise.

Thanks.

sir_nasty 12-28-2007 10:42 AM

RE: 2006 Honda Accord V6 Engine Question

Do you know any of the repair history on the car?

As for the top plate on the engine it sounds like it could be normal but hard to say.... can you post a pic?

driver 12-28-2007 10:56 AM

According to the carfax this is 1-owner car with no history of accidents or major repairs.

Engine looks normal other than the fact that aluminum is not very smoothly finished like the "HONDA" name plate on the top.

sir_nasty 12-28-2007 11:03 AM

I'm just wondering if it's ever had a valve adjustment or basic spark plugs, cabin filter, air filter...

As for the name plate it sounds normal but I have never looked under the hood of an 06 so I can't say for certain.

driver 12-28-2007 11:22 AM

I can try to load a picture later but if you don't know what it's supposed to look like I'm not sure if it'll help. I was hoping someone who had 2006 Accord V6 could look at theirs and comment back.

What about the slight vibration I mentioned. Does that soundnormal or sign of some other issue?

sir_nasty 12-28-2007 11:46 AM

Some vibration in a vehicle is normal, if it feels like it's a lot worse than previous cars you've owned (with the exception of luxury cars like lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc) then take a look at the motor mounts and make sure they are still fine (If one is bad at that low of mileage I'd be EXTREMELY suprised) Also, if basic maintence hasn't been done then it's going to idle a tad rougher than normal so little things like spark plugs (NGK only) and air filters, wires (if it has them) can help calm it a bit as well.

smaglik 12-28-2007 12:39 PM

i think your engine looks normal. mine has a similar finish to it.

HondatechAV6 12-29-2007 01:07 PM

the name plate is finished, the aluminum intake is not finished.

the vibration is normal, that engine has superior mounts compared to the 98-02 years, there are no history of problems with them yet. the vibration at idle is the immense power you feel coming from a superior powerplant. but seriously, some vibration is considered normal, youcan probably only feel it in the steering wheel, and it goes away if you grip it tightly. i wouldn't worry about it unless it's a hybrid accord.

valve adjustment isn't recommended until 105,000 miles, and even then it requires very little to no adjustment. the rocker arm assembly uses a roller bearing, it's so nice.... i love it.

AxCxCxOxRxD 01-01-2008 10:42 PM

i wish i had a v6

RogerB34 01-03-2008 06:16 PM

"Inspect" every 105k, otherwise adjust only if noisy - Owners Manual 2004 V6.
Two intake, two exhaust "inspection" would be very pricey and only by a Honda trained mech.
Runs like a swiss watch so don't abuse and change oil "Maintenance Required".