Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2007 Accord oil change (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2007-accord-oil-change-27309/)

wolfehunter 08-13-2009 12:30 PM

2007 Accord oil change

So how do you guys keep oil from dripping down on the frame and edge of the oil pan when removing the old oil filter? Did my first oil change and tire rotation since buying a used Accord 2.4 liter last month. Any help appreciated.

thanks ,
scott

JimBlake 08-13-2009 01:42 PM

It always dripped when I did it. I was just glad it wasn't dripping down my arm to the elbow like the F-series filters.

98 Accord:
Wrap newspaper under the filter, so the oil doesn't run onto the exhaust pipe & start a fire. So the paper touches the hot exhaust pipe & IT starts the fire.

03 Accord:
Position the drain pan so it catches the dripping oil. That part of the subframe stays oily so it doesn't rust.

otsb708 08-13-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 181014)
That part of the subframe stays oily so it doesn't rust.

uh...what?

19Accord97 08-13-2009 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 181014)
It always dripped when I did it. I was just glad it wasn't dripping down my arm to the elbow like the F-series filters.

I hate that! :(

JimBlake 08-14-2009 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by otsb708 (Post 181024)
uh...what?

It was a dumb wisecrack. I never found a good way to prevent oil from the filter from dribbling down the block & dripping onto the subframe.

lairdylairdy 08-14-2009 11:07 AM

are you not able to just wipe the oil off with an old rag after changing out the filter? it's easier than trying to prevent a mess and making a bigger one

lairdylairdy 08-14-2009 11:08 AM

just make sure you put the drain plug back in before adding the new oil, lol

my friend was pissed when he forgot and found all his oil runnin out his garage

klrspz 08-14-2009 12:22 PM

Good chance you'll never find a way...

On my 84 4Runner the filter was upside down, and just under it was a control arm, so it got EVERYWHERE...

On my saturn there was enough space to build a makeshift funnel out of an old milk jug to redirect the oil pour , but I haven't found a way to do that on the Accord and have space to remove it with your hand.

wolfehunter 08-18-2009 10:57 AM

That's why I asked. I also had a 98 Saturn that I fabricated an empty plastic one quart container of oil to catch the oil and redirect it into the oil pan without making a mess. It didn't make that much of a mess with the Accord and I had used an old rag to clean it up. Just didn't know if there were any "tricks" that you guys were aware of. Since I rotate tires every time I change oil I thought maybe a certain way I jack up the car might make less of a mess when draining the oil but none of the angles worked. Old rag works great!!

hondaaccordtech 09-12-2009 08:30 AM

honda actually makes a engine oil filter drain redirector. i have 1 but the part # i do not know off the top of my head. go to your honda dealer and order 1 there...