Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   2008 EX-L 4 Cly Manual...Why Not?? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/2008-ex-l-4-cly-manual-why-not-14536/)

Tom R 12-09-2007 08:14 AM

2008 EX-L 4 Cly Manual...Why Not??

I am seriously considering buying a 2008 EX-L 4 cyl with a manual transmission...will be my wife's daily driver. Lots of freeway miles. My wife has driven Volvos w/manual for last 30+ years...but we don't like anything in the Volvo current line-up...and they have few...if any manuals at this point.

We like firm handling and sporty ride...and maybe 80+ on some feeways...but are not too concerned about winniing any drag races...just want "reasonable" response when merging onto freeways.

I have read mention of vibration with the 4 cyl???...is that a real issue?

What about engine longevity...we tend to keep our vehicles long time...say 10 year 175,000-200,000 miles.

BTW...I do not like the idea of buying the first year of the new 6cyl 3,4,6 technology...it might drive me nuts if I could feel it "searching" to change from one setting to the other.

I assume the manual might be a bit more fun to drive than the auto...and allow you to select your power band more to your personal preference with the smaller engine...although 190 HP is not ALL that small...the 4 cyl Camry is 150HP.

Any thought would be apprecaited...Tom R

RTexasF 12-09-2007 09:28 AM

RE: 2008 EX-L 4 Cly Manual...Why Not??

The V-6 cylinder dropping technology was introduced in the Hybrid so it's not new for this year. I believe the Hybrid only dropped two cylinders though.
The cylinder dropping technology is only available with the automatic tranny.

Honda four cylinder longevity is legendary so you can drop that worry completely. For me the manual paired with the 2.4l engine brings it to life, '04 2.4l 5 speed stick here w/160HP. With less weight on the nose handling is also improved vs the V-6 in the sedan. I can't speak for the '08 but the only time I "feel" the engine idling is when the A/C compressor kicks in. It doesn't shake at all but is noticable in harshness, not objectionable but there none the less. With the A/C off I defy you to sit in the car and tell me if the engine is running or not....providing you don't peek at the tachometer.

At 70 mphdownshifting to 3rd to blast around a situation is a ball and the car really responds above 4000 or so RPM. The rev limiter can catch you by surprise since the engine never sounds strained. I continually see mid 30's mpg on the highway with the A/C on @ 70mph.

You might face a waiting period for a manual. Autos are more desirable to the masses so they are being produced first.

By the way I'm no kid, actually one of the oldest here at 58. I bought the car new, run synthetic fluids, and have done many minor modifications in the handling, performance, and audio areas. The modificationshave improved the car but bone stock it is still a fine ride and fun to drive with the manual tranny. The 2008 should be even more so.

PS ----Honda manual transmissions are what stick shift people's dreams are made of. Incredibly smooth, a reasonably short throw, and snickinto any gear almost by thought alone. I'veowned many Volvo manual trannies over the years and the Honda gearbox flat puts them to shame.

Tom R 12-09-2007 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

The V-6 cylinder dropping technology was introduced in the Hybrid so it's not new for this year. I believe the Hybrid only dropped two cylinders though.
The cylinder dropping technology is only available with the automatic tranny.

Honda four cylinder longevity is legendary so you can drop that worry completely. For me the manual paired with the 2.4l engine brings it to life, '04 2.4l 5 speed stick here w/160HP. With less weight on the nose handling is also improved vs the V-6 in the sedan. I can't speak for the '08 but the only time I "feel" the engine idling is when the A/C compressor kicks in. It doesn't shake at all but is noticable in harshness, not objectionable but there none the less. With the A/C off I defy you to sit in the car and tell me if the engine is running or not....providing you don't peek at the tachometer.

At 70 mphdownshifting to 3rd to blast around a situation is a ball and the car really responds above 4000 or so RPM. The rev limiter can catch you by surprise since the engine never sounds strained. I continually see mid 30's mpg on the highway with the A/C on @ 70mph.

You might face a waiting period for a manual. Autos are more desirable to the masses so they are being produced first.

By the way I'm no kid, actually one of the oldest here at 58. I bought the car new, run synthetic fluids, and have done many minor modifications in the handling, performance, and audio areas. The modificationshave improved the car but bone stock it is still a fine ride and fun to drive with the manual tranny. The 2008 should be even more so.

PS ----Honda manual transmissions are what stick shift people's dreams are made of. Incredibly smooth, a reasonably short throw, and snickinto any gear almost by thought alone. I'veowned many Volvo manual trannies over the years and the Honda gearbox flat puts them to shame.
Thanks for the input. My gut feel is that we would be well served by the 4 cyl w/manual. Is the low end torque pretty responsive? I was raised on low RPM small block USA V-8s...and my dad always yelled at me if I rev'd the engine too high. Even though I know the new multi-valve engines have best performance at higher RPM...I am curious if they are comfortable at low RPM also?

Sounds like we are in similar modes of driving...I don't mind the 4 cyl...but must be with a manual transmission...and I would likely upgrade the sway bars...and maybe tires/shocks if necessary. We (wife and I) like "flat" turning vehicles and confident freeway vehicles...we did a 6,000 mile trip in our 1998 Volvo S70 T-5 w/manual this fall and spent part of the time well over 80mph...West Texas freeways with posted 80mph! T-5 model is sport handling with lower profile tires and 246hp turbo. It was very comfortable handling at 85mph.

I assume the EX-L 4 cyl manual would not be quite a peppy as the Volvo...but with maybe a new rear sway bar...would be comfortable at 85mph??

We have kind of set a 30mpg goal for at least normal highway driving...our other vehicle is a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser...and it is tough getting much more than 15mpg with that vehicle.

Thanks for your inp[ut...Tom R

RTexasF 12-09-2007 01:29 PM

Low end torque? In a word no, not like the low end grunt V-8's we both grew up with. To put it in perspective, on a level road I can go into 5th gear with no lugging @45 MPH (A/C on)and ease up towards the speed limit without a month's wait ......OR you can get to the speed limit in second if you desire. Like any car once you get some seat time you canjust feel when to shift. It will not be anything like a 5 cyl turbo however. Second gear will pull well from a slow rolling start (like a stop light when folks get moving just as you're almostto a complete stop)where other cars I've had simply would not. It is comfortable at low RPM....4th gear @ 30MPH results in no lugging and will pull well from that point without downshifting.

From what I have read the '08 turns a bit flatter than previous versions and it is an all new platform so it is an unknown if largeranti-sway bars, etc. are even available.A stiffer anti-sway bar would not affect the ride at speed but would affect handling in a positive way. With mine right around 85-88 is where everything feels as if it's one solid piece...just right.Frankly I have not even seen a 2008 Accord yet. They are larger and heavier thanprevious but also have the 190 HP 4 cylinder available. Even with the more powerful 4 banger I can't see where 30 MPG highway would be a problem unless constant VTEC songis the name of the game.

Honda chooses tires with low rolling resistance to maximize MPG. Changing to a sportier tread pattern or softer tire could result in a slight mileage dip.

smaglik 12-09-2007 08:24 PM

go with a manual. unfortunately you cant get the v6 in a manual in the sedan anymore. that would be the best route...

i have owned an 07 auto i4 and 07 v6 manual. the i4 auto felt like a honda. the v6 feels like a 3 series. incredibly refined and smooth. its your call....but i would get a manual... :)

AxCxCxOxRxD 12-09-2007 10:59 PM

get the ex-l v6 6mt coupe. if you want the power. imho the way the new accord looks, i'd go with the 6mt bc it looks like it wants to be driven fast.

AxCxCxOxRxD 12-09-2007 11:01 PM

but it's all up to you. a 4cyl mt is peppy enough i guess but the new accord has 200 lbs or more weight added to it so if you want to make use of that 190 u should get weight reduction.

my bro is getting a 08 ex-l also but it's auto for him =)

RTexasF 12-10-2007 05:23 PM

Tom -

So when are you going to drive one?

YeuEmMaiMai 12-12-2007 09:35 AM

the hybrid V6 acually dropps out the rear 3 cylinders when highway cruising up to about 70mph

Tom R 12-12-2007 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Tom -

So when are you going to drive one?
Hii Tex...my wife and I drove one yesterday. Liked the ride quite a bit...seemed nice and firm. The throttle/engine/clutch was a bit "clumsy" for us to get used to after having the same manual set-up for 10 year...177K miles. Also, I think the throttle by wire is a bit more sensative than out current car...and the engine seems to want to rev freely. You can feel that the torque is moderate at low RPMs...but probably not an issue.

All in all...sure seems like a luxury car at an economy car price!

Wife liked the size...I am guessing the '08 extra space is good for us.

Little concerned about resale...vs the V6...but I do think it makes more sense to us to go "economy" AND get the manual. Particuarly since we tend to keep our cars 10 years or so.

Question...8 year 120,000 mile Honda Care...no deductible can be purchased on the internet for $893. Part of me says that is not necessary since I maintain my cars to the highest level...part of me says it is an OK investment. I am leaning to NOT getting...even at that low price...waht do you think?

ANything to "bump" the low end torque at all?...maybe cold air intake? Probably need to just get used to downshifting a bit more than we do now.

Wife seems to prefer the burgundy/red color...which has a nice beige leather interior.

Any other thoughts for me? I will keep you posted. BTW...dealer is $750 over Kelley "Invoice"...my guess is they are OK down to $500 over...but probably not "invoice".

Thanks...Tom R

P.S. You are no longer the "oldest"...both wife and I turned 60 this year...TMR