Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   276k miles, what all should i do? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/276k-miles-what-all-should-i-do-8268/)

bmxfelon420 03-18-2007 07:25 PM

276k miles, what all should i do?

I've been making a mental list of what i need to do, here's what i can remember:

- change oil
- change coolant
- fix leak (pretty sure its transmission fluid)
- fix side markers
- replace valve cover gasket
- replace spark plugs (im assuming they need it, the oil looks pretty black)
- replace air filter (accomplishing this in a roundabout way with a new intake)
- grease all applicable grease points (have the grease already, just need the gun and where to grease them at in the service manual)
- replace timing belt
- replace oil and fuel filters, is there a transmission one to replace as well? Ill probably just have the shop do it when they are changing the other fluids, ill probably do the fuel filters myself though.

That is most of what i can think of, i also need to tighten what appears to be a ground wire near the alternator, its loose. It may be a hose mount, it was hard to see down there but ill check the service manual to be sure. I was going to have a local place change the fluids so i didnt have to worry about disposing of them. As for the timing belt, i may also have them do that as well, since it's pretty important that i dont screw that up. Are their any particular brands of timing belt i should get? I noticed that they vary widely in price, but what is recommended? It seems to run fine, ill probably clean the egr up as well, and im going to do a compression test next week probably as well.

Is there anything else i should be checking? I dont want to miss anything :D

EDIT: added the last item on the list

bmxfelon420 03-19-2007 02:04 AM

RE: 276k miles, what all should i do?

i am adding this reply so that my signature is seen, the box was not checked before.

JimBlake 03-19-2007 10:44 AM

Bleed brakes to get fresh fluid all thru the brake lines. (Every 2 years.)

Honda auto-tranny has a screen, but you have to dismantle the tranny to replace it. Normally you don'treplace that...

deserthonda 03-19-2007 10:58 AM

djust valves.. plug wires, cap rotor, upper spark plug seals,
if oil in the spark plug tubes. you might have to replace the lower rocker arm seals as well
as for the brand of timing belt and balancer belt just use Honda parts ,, they will last at least another 75-90k miles

bmxfelon420 03-19-2007 11:44 PM

ok, im taking it for the oil and oil filter hopefully this week, Im going to do the fuel filters, spark plugs, wires, and check the cap. Ill see if the spark plug tubes look oily when i change the spark plugs, so i can order the lower rocker seals and the valve cover gasket set at the same time.

Also, if the exhaust heat shield is rusty, should i just get another one? Or would it be better to remove it and get some heatwrap? Id have to do that after replacing the valve cover gasket, because oil dripping on the mainfold would smell bad/be a fire hazard.

Is there a place in the service manual that shows how to check the valve adjustment? Since there isnt an index for the full service manual, it's hard to find things in it. It doesnt seem to have any problems running or driving, it starts every time, the first time. It was a tad low on coolant when i got it, but it had sat all winter.

So, the immediate agenda is to have the shop change the oil, oil filter, flush and replace the coolant, and possibly replace the timing and balancer belts, since i dont want to mess those up. I'll replace the spark plugs, wires, and those gaskets myself.

Also, it seems that someone has bent the tab on the wrong size of battery fuse and put it in the fusebox, because the lid doesnt latch down correctly. It is the correct rating, but im going to replace it anyways, because i wouldnt want any debris to get into the fusebox.

Im also ordering a new set of heater knobs, since one of them is broken. It seemed unusually hard to turn the temperature knob, but i didnt want to force the fan one on there and not be able to get it off. If it doesnt turn, ill troubleshoot it when i get the knobs.

JimBlake 03-20-2007 02:57 AM

Lower sparkplug tube seals are often included with a valve cover gasket set.

I know the valve lash adjustment is in the service manual, somewhere.

bmxfelon420 03-20-2007 03:00 PM

It's looking like if i ever want to find anything in the service manual that im gonna need to print it. Im guessing it'd be cheaper to buy a printed copy than to buy the paper to actually print the whole thing, ill look into that next month. Maybe the real copy will have a proper index too [:@]

JimBlake 03-20-2007 09:09 PM

The real Helm book has an index. www.helminc.comthey're not cheap but that's the best manual. I guess whoever scanned it to pdf didn't bother with the index???

bmxfelon420 03-21-2007 03:23 AM

unless its on a page that isnt labeled, i cant find one. The supplement has a good index, but the manual doesnt.

deserthonda 03-21-2007 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Lower sparkplug tube seals are often included with a valve cover gasket set.

I have seen upper plug tube seals included but not the lower rocker arm seals,

BMX if you take a quick stroll to our DIY section you be amazed what you can find,, Including step by step on HOW to adjust valves