Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   '88 need help here --- its a good one! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/88-need-help-here-its-good-one-5772/)

kx724 11-03-2006 01:31 PM

'88 need help here --- its a good one!

I got an 88 accord. Thing runs great at an idle when cold and drives fine but as soon as it gets got it starts to want to stall. Finally when it does and I go to start it it seems that there is no power to the starter - no click no nothing. The rest of the car has power though. Then it sits for a few minutes (prob enough for it to get a little cold) and then is ok for a while. I cant figure out the problem - I am stumped. I was thinking maybe an ignition module but its $85 and I dont want to spend the money if its not it or not even a possibility. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE! Thanks!

YeuEmMaiMai 11-03-2006 01:36 PM

RE: '88 need help here --- its a good one!

fuel injected or carb?

if it is carburated you need to check your choke to see if it is working.......

kx724 11-03-2006 01:40 PM

its carb but a choke not working I dont think would cuase the starter to not even click. It seems like its something electrical and I have not had a chance when it has happened to get to check for power at the starter but I would say it does not at first. I was thinking maybe some kind of relay for module but I dont know where to begin.

YeuEmMaiMai 11-03-2006 02:24 PM

no it would not affect the starter but it would cause problems with the car running when it has warmed up (choke does not pull off)

as for the starter, check the starter relay and make sure it is good and if it is, test the starter..........

sir_nasty 11-03-2006 02:33 PM

if it's a consistent problem when it's warm then drive the car down to a local auto parts store and they should be able to test the charging system and starter for you, could very well be the celenoid or starter relay causing the start issue... the choking sounds like a seperate problem.... unless your battery is weak and your alternator is under charging the system.... kind of a long shot though...

kx724 11-03-2006 04:23 PM

I dont think its the starter or charging system though because when its cold or even been sitting for a week it will start right away.... this is where I am confused. At first I thought the stalling was a vaccum leak but I could not find anything.

sir_nasty 11-03-2006 06:25 PM

just to clarify but you're saying when the car has problems when it's cold are you talking about the outside temp or the vehicle temp? Just to be certain everything is proper I'd check the coolant

kx724 11-03-2006 06:43 PM

it runs bad when its hot. It rarely stalls when it is cold. In the cold temp outside it starts no problem - it is def not the battery.

Chiovnidca 11-03-2006 08:05 PM

DX, LX, or LXi?

sir_nasty 11-03-2006 09:39 PM

wasn't the LXi the fuel injected model? I guess I just assumed that only the DX and LX models were carb....