Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   89 engine swap question (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/89-engine-swap-question-9946/)

89accordDXinGburg 05-30-2007 04:49 PM

89 engine swap question

As I mentioned before our old accord is loved by the wife with all her heart. Unfortunately last week on a trip to indy the temp went through the roof the oil light came on and ever since we have a rod knocking. Fortunately I had the opportunity to buy a 94 accord with a v-tech 4 cyl a couple months ago. Here comes the tough part. I'm not going to ask if the swap can be made because with the right tools and knowhow anything can be done. The question is, What will we have to change to make it work. The old motor thats knocking is a 2.0 carbureted 5 spd. The one we want to put in is a 94 v-tec 4 cyl auto. I guess question number one will be, Will the 5 spd work on the vtec motor or will i have to change the trans as well? Of course I know we'll have to change the computers out, but if anyone is more knowlegeable about the tech stuff we'd sure appreciate your help. Let us know what you think. I'm sure you'll be hearing from us more as this project progresses. Thanks in advance for your help. B & A

89accordDXinGburg 05-30-2007 09:26 PM

RE: 89 engine swap question

Aww c'mon i'm for real. The wife loves this car and wont have any part of selling it. If the swap is a bad idea let me know. If thats the case which way should i go with this old carbureted turd to make it a little faster and or more dependable. Someone please reply to me, I hate to sound desparate but i am. She's still driving it to work daily and i'm afraid its on borrowed time with the knocking.

89accordDXinGburg 05-31-2007 10:30 AM

Sorry, I hadnt realized the importance of the signature section in my previous posts, so I fixed it.

JimBlake 05-31-2007 11:33 AM

I bet it's not the signature, really. You explained the years & everything in your post. The ranting about the signature is mostly for people who don't evey say what car they're asking about.

So... I bet that particular swap is justnot a combination that anyone's done. I've never had an '89 so I don't really have a clue...

Probably the wiring harness in the '89 (from engine bay to interior) is all different? It seems like an awful lot of work vs. fixing up the '94.

JimBlake 05-31-2007 11:46 AM

One thing is they're completely different engine architecture. 1989 had the A20 while '94 had F22. Way different, probably need lots of fabrication for engine mounts, etc.

It looks like the trannys won't swap (easily). Configuration for bolting up to the engine is different.

Here's the clutch housing for an '89:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...13se00_b02.gif

And here below is the one from a '94...
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...13sv40_b02.gif

89accordDXinGburg 05-31-2007 01:20 PM

Thanks much for your reply Jim. That's a shame theyre that much different. Now I'm wondering what the diagnosis would possibly be on the engine we hurt. I still have the swap in the back of my mind for a few selfish and foolish reasons. # 1 is quite simple, I have more time than money to sink into the project. So with a little more planning on my part I wouldnt be opposed to changing the wiring harness, and the doghouse is smashed on the 94. Reason #2 is the selfish one. I'd much rather be the owner of a one of a kind VTEC 89 DX than the owner of one more 94 4dr. Mostly to see the look on the other guys face when the old turd leaves him sitting or at least keeps up a lot better than it should. Actually I shouldnt call it names. The 89 is the nicest one I've seen in our area, and there are quite a few around. So assuming I might be the kind of nut who would pursue a pipe dream such as this, I'm guessing the swap would work best as follows, please correct me if you see something I dont.

1. Find a manual trans that will bolt to the 94VTEC or be prepared to install the auto in the 89.
2. Change the wiring harness along with the computer swap.
3. Fabricate motor mounts for the VTEC to fit the 89.
4. Work, work, work and plan for it to be at least a year long project.
5. Finally, document everything on the off chance that it will work for the next poor nut who wants to try it.

I wonder could the VTEC utilize an adapter plate of some sort to mount to my 5spd trans? I've heard of this being done with some swaps like V8's into S10's and such. Are the newer 5spd/6spd trans improved enough to make the purchase worth it? I know it does still seem like a lot of work but I do have access to fabrication tools as well as machining tools to get the work done if i decide to spend the effort to complete the old girl.

Well, I guess thats enough rambling for this post. Thanks again Jim for your reply, and anyone else who'd like to see this thing at least attempted, give me a yell. I'll need all the good advice I can get. I'm going to get my old S10 running for the wife to drive back and forth to work while this project is in the garage.

JimBlake 05-31-2007 03:53 PM

I really hope someone chimes in who knows their way around the engine bay of an '89...

With fab&machine tools, that'll help. Those pictures are viewed from opposite sides, too. The bellhousing of the '94 is facing away. I have to kinda guess where bolts & stuff need to go. Still it seems like you could find a '93-'97 5-speed trannyeasier than you could make an adapter plate. VTEC doesn't matter if you have the right range of years.

Shift linkages?? The newer Accords have cable shifters, so if the '89 also has a cable shifter, that would make your job easier. Cable-operated vs. hydraulic clutch? Exhaust will probably be custom since '89 won't bolt up to the engine, & '94 won't be the right length or path for the car.

Check out hondaautomotiveparts.com & put in the different years. (That's where I got those pictures.) Look at engine mounts, for example, to give you a general idea of how much work you're in for. Actually, you have the 2 cars (right?),so you can look at them in real life...

Look atALL the auxiliary junk in the engine bay of both cars. Just as a dumb example, will the '94 oil pan run into the '89 steering rack? You get the general idea... The '94 is a generally bigger car overall, so you might have to be creative tofit all the'94 stuff into an '89 engine bay.

BlkCurrantKord 06-01-2007 08:49 PM

B-series engines will swap into earlier accords with minimal work. I know its been done, you'll just have to search for the info.

JimBlake 06-02-2007 10:17 AM

But he's already bought a '94 with an F-series... Now he should go looking for an Integra or CRVengine?? Do you know how much extra work he's in for if he still wantsto use his F22?

BlkCurrantKord 06-02-2007 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

But he's already bought a '94 with an F-series... Now he should go looking for an Integra or CRVengine?? Do you know how much extra work he's in for if he still wantsto use his F22?

Well I'm assuming that the '94 runs and is drivable. If not, he's looking at a lot of custom work to put the F22 in his '89.