Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   91 accord smoking???? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/91-accord-smoking-26124/)

ttyoukno 06-19-2009 02:54 PM

91 accord smoking????

it started blowing out smoke today any ideas of what it could be... piston rings???

draser 06-19-2009 04:56 PM

How many miles, and was it using oil previously to seeing this smoke?
You should have PCV valve somewhere in there, is there oil in it? Do you remember replacing it?
Also, if you open the air duct to the throttle, is there oil in there?
Let us know.

ttyoukno 06-22-2009 12:09 PM

well i went out and checked everything, i have oil getin into the intake some how because there was oil setting in the intake hose when i took it off, what could cause that any help will be greatly appreciated

JimBlake 06-22-2009 12:55 PM

Your PCV valve is located in the valve cover, it looks like a little plastic elbow hose nipple. If it's clogged up with oil, it can cause oil to blow through that other hose over to the intake. A new one is probably less than $10, even from a dealer.

ttyoukno 06-22-2009 02:58 PM

ok i took it off and took the whole valve cover off too but the pcv i think its clogged because i could blow threw it, so whats with the hose on the left side of the valve cover for that hooks to intake hose?

JimBlake 06-22-2009 05:01 PM

Shake the PCV valve, you should hear a plunger rattling in there; it's on a spring. You SHOULD be able to blow through it only one direction, and the rattling of the plunger shouldn't feel like it's covered in mush.

The vacuum of the intake manifold is supposed to suck air out through the PCV valve. That other hose is supposed to allow air INTO the crankcase, to make up for what's sucked out.

If the engine has a lot of blowby, or if you spend all your time at WOT, then the blowby will overwhelm the PCV valve, causing the flow to reverse in that other vent line.

ttyoukno 06-22-2009 05:11 PM

i could blow threw it in the direction going into the valve cover but not the other direction, i took it off while car was running and it was sucking a little bit but not much, and no when i shack it there is no rattling and i took a q tip and put it in there and there is like globs of stuff in it... this stuff has got me all confused because i dont know much about any of this... all i know is that it dont smoke when i crank it only when i rev it to like 3000 rpm and there is oil in my intake hose

JimBlake 06-22-2009 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ttyoukno (Post 175799)
i could blow threw it in the direction going into the valve cover but not the other direction...

You need to be able to blow through it the other direction. For as cheap as a new one costs, I'd just replace it.

ttyoukno 06-22-2009 10:12 PM

yeah thats what im gonna do thanks for your help...