Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   91 honda accord ex blown head gasket (I think???!!) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/91-honda-accord-ex-blown-head-gasket-i-think-10462/)

htownfanatic 06-21-2007 05:50 PM

91 honda accord ex blown head gasket (I think???!!)

Well my 1991 honda accord had been running hot because of lack of coolant i believe while i was off to school. Only the radiator fan worked and I didnt notice it until i think its 2 late. Well now it runs hot constantly (not completely to the red mark), and i changed the temp sensor, thermostat, new coolant and everything. I have combustion coming out of my radiator and it was suggested that my head was cracked. Well i heard it was expensive so my question is....do i try to get it fixed or swap it with another motor from another 91 accord? Im a college student and Im just trying to make my car last (270,000 miles right now) at least another year or so until i get a newer model thanks!!

sir_nasty 06-21-2007 06:49 PM

RE: 91 honda accord ex blown head gasket (I think???!!)

The two easiest ways to diagnose a blown head gasket (or potentialy cracked head) is to first inspect the oil, if it looks at all milky or white then that's evidence of coolant in the oil wich would confirm a gasket or head issue. The second test, before you start your car in the morning, pop the radiator cap off and look at the fluid in there, if it looks like there is a film on top of the coolant (like gas in water, kinda rainbow looking, a flashlight may help....) then that's evidence of oil in the coolant which also points to a bad head gasket/head. Check those two things and if either of them appear then I would suggest removing the head yourself and inspect it, if the gasket looks fine, no evidence of it being burnt/broken/worn then inspect the head, if the head looks fine find a straight edge and hold it accross the head from one end to the other (length wise) if you see light coming through in the center or somewhere close to it then you have a warped head. If it's a gasket problem I'd suggest just do the work yourself, if it's a head problem then find a good machine shop and get their opinion....

xkuma 06-21-2007 11:11 PM

hm. ok well i have a question. if he were to replace the motor. do you thin ka motor from a 94 accord would fit?

zam17 06-22-2007 02:19 AM

common symptoms of a blown honda head gasket: bubbles of air coming up into your radiator (remove cap before starting), leaking radiator, milkshake colored oil, overheating, rough running,coolant or oil running from head, spark plug(s) that have a green tint (if green coolant), white colored or sweet smelling exhaust. better check all those things.. good luck

sir_nasty 06-22-2007 04:27 PM

94 to 91 swap.... Hard to say, the 91's had either a F22A4 or F22A6 and the 94's ran F22B series motors so in theory it would work but I'm not sure about the motor mounts or anything.... at the very least you'd need a new ECU with the motor....

htownfanatic 06-22-2007 08:38 PM

Ok so I did the test and I think I came to the conclusion that the head is cracked!! :(NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! but no what is the best decision i should make from here.....do i swap with another engine for $300 or try and get the head gasket fixed? Which one is more stressfull mechanically and financially?

sir_nasty 06-23-2007 11:05 AM

If the head is cracked then I'd start with removing it and take it to a machine shop to have them test and confirm your fears, it may still be just a blown head gasket and not the head itself, that's the cheapest route to go. I wouldn't go in there and tell them you think it's cracked though, just tell them you need it tested to make sure it's ok. If they ask what the car was doing just tell them you think a head gasket blew and leave it at that. That way the will be sure they test it for proper operation/function and not be looking for what you suspect. If it is in fact cracked then you'll need a different head anyway, so I'd start looking around junk yards for a good head and see how much it will cost. That would be the cheapest route, diagnose it first.

peewee 06-24-2007 09:54 PM

It's MUCH easier to swap a head as opposed to a whole engine. Take it from someone who has done two clutches and a trans in his!

With the replacing the head you even have the option of outfitting a H23A DOHC head to your F22A block. That would be my plan. ;)