Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   '92 Accord Brakes (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/92-accord-brakes-1086/)

wardykid23 10-03-2005 01:50 AM

'92 Accord Brakes

hey guys.

few weeks back (4-6) i heard that LOVELY sound of the rear brake pads worn to scrap metal and decided to change them myself. I bought myself the haynes auto manual and consulted my buddy who's car savvy (if you need credentials he swapped engines by himself out of his '95 G20 when the fan blew, and has always correctly identified every problem in my car and fixed it.) So i called him up and he came over and showed me how to replace the pads. He started on the driver side rear and told me for experience i had to do the passenger side. Upon completing it i went for a 30 second ride and noticed they didn't work (my father and friend both told me it takes time for them to set). However the next day while driving, my sister (sitting behind me) started to say she smelt something burning. I didn't pay much attention to it and drove home. Getting out of my car my dad noticed that the driver side rear brakes were hot. Not your normal brake pad wearing in hot, but ridiculously hot. we went around to the passenger side (the one i did) and could feel heat, but considerably less than the driver side. The next day i took the tires off to see if it needed any work. I noticed that the bottom caliper pin was stuck, and remembered my buddy telling me that and telling me to replace them. When i picked them up i drove home and proceded to replace them. They were jammed to **** and in the process of removing them i destroyed the rubber boot cover. My buddy told me that the rubber boot should've been included in the set, and when i called the place that sold them to me (autozone) the guys said well tough luck. however a brake place i called told me they had some for me i could just pick up. I brought them back and put them on the caliper pins. The problem i had with it is that they were not "honda" or whatever caliper boots. now i'm car naive and don't know if the rubber boots should be all the same, but regardless the bottom caliper boots are larger than the top caliper boots. I replaced the pins and reapplied the caliper and made sure my alignments were correct. two weeks later (now about 2-4 weeks ago) they STILL did not work. I remember when i was replacing the brake pads that i drained a SMALL amount of brake fluid (i removed the wrong nut) from each side. Now my father said that maybe the brakes had to be drained and new brake fluid put in, and i have yet to do that. Finally, i'm looking for ADVICE. whats my problem? i'll redo the facts:
-leaked brake fluid
-lower caliper pin boots are larger than top

HELP ME PLEASE.

Evlampius 10-23-2005 10:43 PM

RE: '92 Accord Brakes

no offence but seriously, Thank you for a great story!! i like how you described every detail.

...and unfortunately - you need new calipers :(

and if you want to save money - please let the garage do the job.