Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   92 Accord: Engine stutters upon acceleration after warming up (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/92-accord-engine-stutters-upon-acceleration-after-warming-up-29864/)

Mr_Accord 12-30-2009 06:02 PM

92 Accord: Engine stutters upon acceleration after warming up

Alright so this started the other night after dropping off my friend and spending maybe 10 mins in the parking lot I started the car and began to drive down the road and then the engine began to hesitate and stutter briefly when giving it gas/attempting to increase speed, I could hear it and feel the vibrations in the wheel and pedals. It felt like one of the cylinders wasn't firing or in sync properly. I got home left it to cool down, came back later started it idled perfectly, took it for a spin and for the first few minutes it accelerated and drove great everything back to normal, it was only after the engine warmed up that the engine began to stutters and hesitate upon giving it gas to accel. Drove the car back home, popped the hood and I could hear a loud ticking sound that wasn't usually there, It sounded like it was coming from behind the head around where the fuel injection system is?

Next day I started by installing new NGK G-Power plugs, opened up the distributor cap, looked good so did the rotor, filled up the tank with fresh gas, still does it.

Does anybody have any ideas of what is the problem? I leave the car to cool down and I can drive it for a few minutes without any trouble, but as soon as the engine warms up this hesitation BS during accel occurs?

91excoupe 12-30-2009 10:32 PM

sounds like a bad plug wire to me... usually when they go bad, they'll only act up during acceleration, which is when they're under the most load... the ticking noise could be the wire arcing to ground somewhere, like the intake or valve cover... best way to check that is go out at night, or in a dark garage and spray the wires with a fine mist of water from a spray bottle... any arcing should make itself evident if it's there...

Mr_Accord 12-30-2009 11:50 PM

that is a good test I will try that out. Someone also mentioned to me that it could also be something called the EGR Valve apparently theses valve get clogged alot on older hondas which in turn causes engine problems.

Mr_Accord 01-03-2010 10:22 PM

Update on problem

Alright so after checking through a list of possibilities here is where I'm at.

-Changed the plugs, new NGK G-Power (Problem persists)
-Changed the Plug Wires (Problem persists)
-Inspected Dist Cap & Rotor everything looked fine

-Unplugged vacuum line #16 going to EGR Valve and took the car for a spin. Once car reached normal operating temp the check engine light came on and the knocking problem wasn't there unlike other times when the vacuum line was connected.

So what does this mean, the valve itself needs to be replaced or is this clogged ports?

partschanga 01-28-2010 09:24 PM

Sounds like the egr ports are clogged. Check the sticky in the DIY section for cleaning directions.

g22cd5 01-28-2010 09:40 PM

1992 Honda Accord LX Sedan - Sebring Silver - 317000+km - 5W-30 Pennzoil HM - Wix Filter - Valvoline Maxlife ATF <---that's a big no no. Your tanny will start having prob.s Use ONLY honda ATF or your tranny will die.

kylexr70r 10-16-2021 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by g22cd5 (Post 194466)
1992 Honda Accord LX Sedan - Sebring Silver - 317000+km - 5W-30 Pennzoil HM - Wix Filter - Valvoline Maxlife ATF <---that's a big no no. Your tanny will start having prob.s Use ONLY honda ATF or your tranny will die.

used that stuff for 30k miles never had a problem🤙🏼