Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   96 accord burns oil (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/96-accord-burns-oil-10117/)

Pat88 06-05-2007 03:52 PM

96 accord burns oil

hey, just recently purchased my first honda, 96 LX with 118K miles. really happy with the vehicle except for the large consumption of oil. There isnt any blue smoke out the back during regular driving, but wheneverit sees anything past 6k, theres a huge cloud of blue smoke.My guess is that the piston rings are fine because it doesnt smoke during regular driving...but what else could be causing so much oil to enter the combustion chamber? Ive gone 3k miles and had to add almost 4qts during that time. Its due for an oil and filter chage in the next week and ill put in mobil 1 5w-30 like i did previously. Anyone got any idea as to what is up with this thing? Its got the 2.2l non-vtec engine.

BlkCurrantKord 06-06-2007 07:49 AM

RE: 96 accord burns oil

Rings....

tkundert2 06-06-2007 09:08 AM

My first car was a high mileage Civic that ran great, but I had to add oil whenever I put in gas. I kept a case of inexpensive 40w oil in the trunk (yes, it had a trunk, not a hatchback). It only smoked at high rpms too. If you live in a warmer part of the country, you could probably use a heavy oil year round.

I would do a compression check.

RTexasF 06-06-2007 10:57 AM

Why on earth would you put Mobil 1 in a car burning that much oil? You might as well throw the money out the window on the freeway. I would think a professional engine evaluation is in order.

legionofone 06-06-2007 02:22 PM

throw a little nitrous on it that will seal those rings up...

ok for real though... go to a shop and ask for a compression test... find what cylinders leaking and see what can be done... probably gunna need a rebuild... a good shop (this is a very very good shop) shouldent even need to pull ur engine to replace rings and so on... if they do pull it... price getting it honed and new pistons and so on... even a good balancing of the factory pistons would improve ur engines life and performance...

pyaarawala 06-06-2007 03:15 PM

yeah

Pat88 06-07-2007 08:34 AM

that sucks, Ill get the compression test done sometime this week. Im in VA so guess ill throw in thicker oil for now while its still hot. Thanks for the info

KevinAccord 06-07-2007 01:39 PM

check rings! just a thought...

Pat88 06-07-2007 02:04 PM

Before i can get to the problem, whats the thickest oil i can pour in without hainvg any problems for the time being?

legionofone 06-07-2007 02:10 PM

i wouldent realy like running much over 10 over... even at that ur chancing damage...