Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   96 accord engine swap question? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/96-accord-engine-swap-question-27691/)

Clutch32192 08-31-2009 09:41 PM

96 accord engine swap question?

car: 96 accord lx sedan 5speed
problem: 310,000 miles
My dad got a new car, and gave me this, and we are planning (preparing) to change the engine &/or tranny when that day comes, and I want to upgrade to a H22, but he says it would be too much work, and my dad said something about putting a civic engine in it, but i think he was just suggesting something with less hp than the h22 but more than the stock. (He was never a fan of driving fast)

How much harder (timewise, skillwise, toolwise) would it be to swap a h22 into it compared to simply replacing with an identical engine. Also what would the cost difference be around, i've been scouring google, with info on putting them in, and have found sites that say they are simply interchangeable & some that talk about welding engine mounts, extending wire, and wiring in vtec.

I would just like yalls sensus on a father and son project with a somewhat limited garage.

also: is there any other engines that fit as good as an h22 (other than stock) into the accord, someone said the v6 of that year would but i doubted them as soon as they said it.

more to be said but off to bed

JimBlake 09-01-2009 08:05 AM

Well-cared-for Accords can last a lot longer than 300k miles. So maybe this is more of a future question.

Civic is so much lighter weight that it's engine would be a pretty bad choice. If you really want to stay out of traffic court (or morgue) then put a restricter plate under the throttle body.

H22 fits OK, but there IS some custom work. Wiring harness to be fabricated, maybe engine mounts, etc. I think there's more than one thread with good stuff from people who've actually done that swap (I haven't).

I'm pretty sure the V-6 will not fit. During 95-97 the V-6 cars had a longer engine compartment. Beginning in 98 the nose of the car is exactly the same but a V-6 conversion is still a LARGE job becuase EVERYTHING in the engine compartment is backwards.

live2rice 09-01-2009 08:29 AM

The h22 is a fairly simple swap, there are 100 swap guides out there for it.

You would need to either grind down the driver side engine mount, or buy the hasportone(~$150). Since your car is a LX you would need to run some VTEC wires. You would have to modify your accord harness to work on the H22, meaning lengthen some wires and soldering some sensors on.

As for average cost more I'd say a H22 goes for 800-1000 these days, you can get a F22 used for $300-500. Then you would need a new ECU(~$100-200). Since your car is OBD2 it also raises the fact of if you ever want to pass inspection again, it makes it a lot harder to get a OBD2 H22 and ECU.........and a ton more expensive.

Any motor you get you'll want to do the timing belt and other maintence on before you put it in.

No the V6 will not fit.........not even close.

Other motors that will work:
F22B1, F22B2, F20B, F22B, H22a1, H22a4(no SH), H22a, H23a1, H23a

Clutch32192 09-01-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice (Post 182651)
The h22 is a fairly simple swap, there are 100 swap guides out there for it.

You would need to either grind down the driver side engine mount, or buy the hasportone(~$150). Since your car is a LX you would need to run some VTEC wires. You would have to modify your accord harness to work on the H22, meaning lengthen some wires and soldering some sensors on.

As for average cost more I'd say a H22 goes for 800-1000 these days, you can get a F22 used for $300-500. Then you would need a new ECU(~$100-200). Since your car is OBD2 it also raises the fact of if you ever want to pass inspection again, it makes it a lot harder to get a OBD2 H22 and ECU.........and a ton more expensive.

Any motor you get you'll want to do the timing belt and other maintence on before you put it in.

No the V6 will not fit.........not even close.

Other motors that will work:
F22B1, F22B2, F20B, F22B, H22a1, H22a4(no SH), H22a, H23a1, H23a

that list of engines, are any of the f22s on it higher hp then the stock but fit the same as stock, or without much trouble?

live2rice 09-01-2009 04:09 PM

F22B1 makes what 15 more hp than your f22b2, would just need to run vtec wires and an accord EX ecu. F22B is pretty much a mix between a F22 and H23(its a DOHC F22 nonVTEC).

but anything other than your stock motor would require a little work to be done to make it work.

chrisroman 05-24-2010 04:36 PM

I have a question I am new to the forum hopefully someone can help me out I just swapped out a 96 f22b1 accord engine into a 97 accord but I am not getting a spark could any one help me thanks chris