Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   96 accord ex engine loses power (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/96-accord-ex-engine-loses-power-28527/)

edbighead 10-10-2009 06:01 PM

96 accord ex engine loses power

My 96 accord ex randomly loses power within 5 minutes of getting on the road. Ill step on the gas and it doesn't accelerate or rev. Ive taken it to multiple mechanics and they re all lost. Ive replaced the fuel filter, replaced cat converter , new O2 sensors. any help would be great, thanks in advance.

edbighead 10-10-2009 06:14 PM

the check engine light also comes on when the problem is bad and then goes back off when it doesnt happen as often. its all v random

JimBlake 10-12-2009 08:15 AM

What code does it throw?

edbighead 10-14-2009 02:56 PM

Do I need to read the code when the check engine light comes on? It turns off and on randomly but the problem is def worse when it's on. When I'm on the highway it never loses power but usually when I first start out or after Ive been driving for a while on the highway then stop and star again it'll happen. It's def not the transmission. I've taken it to multiple mechanics and they have no idea whatthe problem is. I'll try to get the code I puts out asap.

19Accord97 10-14-2009 11:35 PM

You can jump the code w/ a paper clip (in the DIY or FAQ section i think) or go to Autozone for free. It shouldnt have to be on...I dont think.

edbighead 01-06-2010 02:26 PM

code

P0171 or fuel system too lean

edbighead 01-09-2010 06:49 PM

bump, anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

clutch811 01-10-2010 02:29 AM

im working on a ford focus with the same code. lean condition can be one of two main concepts. 1. either not enough fuel is being put into the combustion chamber or 2. you are not getting any or complete enough combustion in one or more cylinders meaning a miss fire.

1. can include fuel pressure so:
fuel pump
injectors/rail are bad or clogged
fuel filter clogged
fuel leak(not likely)
also can be vacuum leak: check for these at all hoses for the vacuum system.

2. o2 sensors only look for oxygen presence so even if you get fuel but its not burning youre gonna get too much air hence lean condition.

have you tried a tuneup:
cap
rotor
wires
plugs

run a bottle of cleaner through you fuel tank. seafoam would be best or you can use injector cleaner.

hope this helps. sorry if im wrong or missed something its very late lol. oh and look into the egr system i believe this can cause trouble too!

edbighead 01-11-2010 07:44 PM

ive already done all of that :( any other ideas haha

clutch811 01-11-2010 10:32 PM

hmm. have you had any other major maintenance done recently like timing belt, etc?

is the car getting adequate fuel pressure? check your coolant, does it look normal? try a compression test. are you absolutely sure the EGR system is clean and operating correctly?

how about your PCV valve?
the engine run really rough? like almost as though theres a miss?