Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   99 Accord LX Engine Knocking (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/99-accord-lx-engine-knocking-54135/)

elijahpr 04-08-2013 01:36 PM

99 Accord LX Engine Knocking

Here's a link to the video I made that can give a better visual than what I can put into words. It seems to have appeared this winter. I ziptied the loose brake lines (thanks for a stellar job, Sears :rolleyes:) and inspected the heat shields, but it's still there.

Any ideas? Someone suggested it's the harmonic balancer, and someone else said it could be an engine bearing. I hope not!

There seems to be a slight performance loss, but it could just be me. I'm not very good at gauging those things.

Going to try to get it to the local dealership so I can pay them $110 to look at it soon.

Link:

Please ignore the other videos haha. Thanks!

RobinsonRicer 04-08-2013 04:12 PM

Sounds like knocking. Do a vacuum test before paying anyone. Or pay someone. Just not the dealer. Anyone but the dealer.

elijahpr 04-08-2013 06:34 PM

I really really don't want to pay anyone to do anything haha. $110 to look at something makes me want to vomit.

What's the best way to do a vacuum test? The only ones I've seen are with carberator fluid, but that stuff is highly flammable and it would make me nervous to put it in my running engine.

TexasHonda 04-08-2013 06:54 PM

I hear two noises;

1) a regular tapping that sounds like a valve (adjust valves).

2) a rattling, shaking sound that sounds like a rotating bearing issue; ac compressor idler, altenator, PS. Suggest removing accessory belts; PS then AC/Alt belts to see if you can isolate source of this sound.

good luck

elijahpr 04-08-2013 10:07 PM

Thanks Texas, I'll look up how to adjust the valves and update on whether or not it works. Be prepared for some follow up questions though, because I'm still pretty new to the world of fixing cars :)

The timing belt, balancer belt(?), power steering belt, and compressor belt were all replaced at once, at 118K miles. I'm now at 139K miles.. Would they really have failed that quickly? The alternator was replaced at 61K.

Thanks again for the suggestions! This sounds like a good weekend project.

RobinsonRicer 04-09-2013 07:37 AM

Texashonda knows more.

But the noise sounds so familar. If its not knocking, Ive heard it on my car before... Might be the ticking from the valves. Ive been doing valve adjustments lately. Gotta redo it today actually.

Get the FSM for your car. And this will help:

elijahpr 04-09-2013 04:38 PM

Thanks for the video. I don't think I trust my skill level enough to do it myself. Hopefully I can find someone locally who will do it and not charge me a months pay.

RobinsonRicer 04-09-2013 06:03 PM

Its actually a lot easier than it looks but I understand. What I would suggest is seeing if the clicking is actually coming from the valve cover.

elijahpr 04-09-2013 06:06 PM

It seems to be coming from the cover that covers the headers(?), the one with the big X on it.

RobinsonRicer 04-09-2013 06:16 PM

Thats the exhaust manifold heat shield. Could be the exhaust valves are loose.
Could be something else thats loose and clicking. Try increasing the RPMs little by little and seeing if the clicking goes faster.