Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   ABS light !! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/abs-light-10445/)

venks 06-20-2007 07:40 PM

ABS light !!

Hey , i have a 97 accord SE with 145K kilometerss on it , the engine is in pretty good shape and never really had a problem with the car. just recently on a highway my ABS light came on , it went away after a day but then now came back again. now everytime i start the car and drive a little it comes on and stays until i shut the car off. does anybody know what could be the reason it came on ? i kno ABS light means the ABS system isnt working but WHY all of a sudden it stopped working ? wut reason could it be and how much approx wud it charge ?
if its an expensive repair , does it matter if i ignore it ?

thanks

Chiovnidca 06-21-2007 02:59 PM

RE: ABS light !!

What trouble code does it have stored?

venks 06-21-2007 04:27 PM

i havent checked the troublecodes , iv heard some places charged upto 100 $ for reading the codes....

some people say its cause of bad wheel sensors , jus clean them and it would fix the prob....

KevinAccord 06-21-2007 10:11 PM

if the abs are out, better... the abs means slower stopping time.....abs are to make the car less vulnearable to spin out of control in case of an accident. but breaking faster could actually be more helpful! so, do as u want. i wouldn't fix the abs, just check the breaks and the electrical lines....
good luck!

00AccordLX5spd 06-22-2007 09:47 AM

My wife's 95 V6 has the same thing. I know the ABS works because I've had to use it before! I almost rear ended somebody when I wasn't paying attention. Slammed on brakes at about 55mph, and they did not lock up....justperformed the way the ABS should perform. That is why I haven't been too concerned about the light.Use the "search" function. As I recall, thistopic has been widely discussed.

venks 06-22-2007 07:33 PM

iv been doing some research on this and have learned that 5th gen accords seem to have a bad reputation with ABS.
now the most iv found online is that the ABS stops working cuz of 2 reasons , eitherproblem with wheel sensor or brake master cylinder ......dont kno how they relate to ABS but thas wut most ppl tell me....after seein wut u guys are sayin , im in doubt if i shud be too concerned or spend money on the ABS or not...

Chiovnidca 06-22-2007 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: venks

now the most iv found online is that the ABS stops working cuz of 2 reasons , eitherproblem with wheel sensor or brake master cylinder ......
There are alot of problems that will cause the abs light to come on, it's not something you can guess at. The best way to find the problem is to get the trouble code. Jump the service check connector to get it.

KevinAccord 06-23-2007 08:39 PM

just go to a near parking lot, floor the car and then slam on the brakes and see if they work as before! that's what i would do in ur case.... hehe