Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Power Steering Problems? (PLEASE HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Default Power Steering Problems? (PLEASE HELP)

Hey, whatsup guys
My accord has 159,000 miles on it and it seems like when i turn the steering wheel at low speeds, i hear a sound from underneath the car that sounds kind of like a click. it clicks whenever i turn to the left or right. i looked at the CV joints and they look fine, they arent broken but idk whats going on. Actually its not even really a click, its more like a squeek that keeps squeeking until i stop turning the wheel (only at low speeds tho). i dont kno if it is the steering knuckle or the power steering. i dont kno what it could be PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT, THE SOUND IS SO ANNOYING.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Power Steering Problems? (PLEASE HELP)

Could be a ball joint beginning to seize. Lift the front end, steer with the wheels up in the air, and pinpoint the location of the noise.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it could be the ball joints as Jim suggested,, but it could also be the p/s rack upper seal at the end of the steering column it gets too dry and squeaks,,
under the dash , at the end of the p/s column, there is a plastic cover held by 3 clips, remove the cover, now you should see where the colimn is conected to the shaft of the p/s rack, get some wd-40, spray grease and spray it all in that part where the shaft of the p/s rack comes out,, go back and forth a few times,( engine runing ) and do it again, put it all together and test drive it...

Also Honda sales ( use to sale ) a little tube of p/s additive ( quietener) that you add in the p/s reservoir ,
NOW i do not know if that's what you are hearing but it is a cheap try to a problem that i have seen, and solved this way more than once ..

Old 03-24-2007, 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Could be a ball joint beginning to seize. Lift the front end, steer with the wheels up in the air, and pinpoint the location of the noise.
It only makes the sound when the car is on the ground and either not moving or driving less than 25 miles an hour.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Drive it up on ramps. That way the suspension is compressed just like when it's on the ground. Make CERTAIN that it's secure on the ramps, they aren't gonna topple, etc.

Have someone saw the steering wheel back & forth to make the sound. Crawl underneath and pinpoint the location. Ball joints or rack pinion seal or whatever else, the best thing to do FIRST is pinpoint the location. Otherwise you can guess your way thru $1000 in parts before you 'figure it out'.