Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Accord automatic "Sport" mode in an Odyssey automatic? (F23A7 2.3 VTEC) (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/accord-automatic-%22sport%22-mode-odyssey-automatic-f23a7-2-3-vtec-10439/)

Ronnie101 06-20-2007 04:12 PM

Accord automatic "Sport" mode in an Odyssey automatic? (F23A7 2.3 VTEC)

We have a 1998 Honda Shuttle 2.3 VTEC (7-seat), which is the UK variant of the Mk1 Odyssey. (For example, see eBay item 300112993103).

It uses the F23A7 engine with a 6200RPM red-line and an automatic transmission that seems to be programmed to keep the engine RPM permanently down at about 2000-2500 unless you floor it hard for at least 3 seconds - which is nice if you're driving moms and children around and don't want to upset them, but a real pain if you're in a hurry, or turning sharply into a steeply inclined sideroad, or need to pass another car without having to plan ahead for about 15 seconds to overcome the way the gearbox churns around before actually letting any power through.

I'd like to have two or three switchable modes - the first one would be the standard economy setting and the others would be varying severities of "Sport" modes where the transmission tried to keep the engine speed up in the VTEC range.

Assuming that the 2.3 VTEC Shuttle/Odyssey uses very similar engine/automatic transmission to the 2.3 VTEC Accord of the same 1998 year, are there any alternative automatic gearbox settings available that could accomplish this?

For example, is the Transmission Control Unit the same as on the 2.3 VTEC Accord that has a "Sport" mode, but with one of the control pins disabled? If so, would it be a simple matter to add a switch somewhere to the Odyssey to make it work with the Accord "Sport" mode? Could someone post a picture of the correct connector pin to use?

I'd be really grateful for any help. Particularly if anyone could tell me the likely part number of my current TCU (28100?) and a selection of alternative suitable TCU part numbers, that I could get from a breaker's yard.

legionofone 06-20-2007 04:20 PM

RE: Accord automatic "Sport" mode in an Odyssey automatic? (F23A7 2.3 VTEC)

use the shifter like ur sposed to... drop it into 1 2 or 3 depending on what speed ur going

BlkCurrantKord 06-20-2007 07:12 PM

I think you're on your own on this one. Our Accord's and Odysseys' share the exact same transmission, I think only you guys in the UK got the "sport" mode transmissions.

legionofone 06-21-2007 02:59 AM

im pretty sure its a F20B in the accords over there...

BlkCurrantKord 06-21-2007 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

im pretty sure its a F20B in the accords over there...
There's like 4 engines the accord's could've came with over there. It doesn't matter anyways, he's just talking about the "sport" or tiptronic transmission from one.

03Sleeper 06-21-2007 09:44 PM

Thank you USDM [/sarcasm]