Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Accord LX 2003 Enigne locked up (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/accord-lx-2003-enigne-locked-up-28144/)

rjobs2004 09-23-2009 01:26 PM

Accord LX 2003 Enigne locked up

Hi ,
I have honda 2003 accord lx with 47000miles.I parked the car in a parking lot in the morning .when I went back inthe evening to start it did not start,tired to jump start and it did not worked then towed to a local mechanic for diagnosis,and he said that enigne motor is not turn evening with hand and engine is locked. I did regular maintenance.
I have power train warranty of 100k and or till July of 2010.

My question do i have to take it dealer ,will this covered under warranty?
because dealer is quoting that to diagnosis it will take around $110.and if further inspection to see whether it is covered under warranty it may take 500-600 .

The local mechanic is saying that I need to replace the engine and it would cost $2000
Can you please suggest what would be better to approach. take it dealer and and diagnosis to check for warranty (risk of $600) or take it to local mechanic and replace the engine.

Thanks.
Raghu

JimBlake 09-23-2009 02:56 PM

First, read your warranty. It's not a factory warranty (I'm guessing) so nobody here knows exactly what it says.

Can you go to any mechanic for warranty work?

Are there any disclaimers saying "not covered for the following conditions...."?

Did you go too long without oil to cause it to seize (your own fault)?

rjobs2004 09-23-2009 03:26 PM

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your speedy repsonse.I have done regular maintenance. I just did oil change in firesotne 1500 miles before this problem occurred.
Car is Honda certified. 2003 year and and it is specified on the cerified card "has power train warranty of 100k or july 7 2010 . that delear has provided when I bought the car .

I have not yet read what is not covered , i saw by googling about certified cars warrantty
http://www.cpohondasales.com/certified_vehicle_info.php and it specifies as follows
Cover engine, drive system and Transmission for 7 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date, as follows:

• Engine
    Cylinder block and cylinder head(s) and all internal lubricated parts; intake and exhaust manifolds; oil pan and oil pump; seals and gasket; timing belt and pulleys; tensioner and guides; water pump; and engine mounts
  • Drive System
    Drive axle housing and all internal lubricated parts; axle shafts; drive shafts; center support bearings; wheel bearings; hub bearings; locking hub assembly; seals and gaskets; universal joints; constant velocity joints and boots
  • Transmission
    Transmission/trans axle/transfer/differential case and all internal parts; seals and gaskets; torque converter; flexplate or ring gear, clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder; and transmission mounts

Cover engine, drive system and Transmission for 7 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date, as follows:
    • Engine
      Cylinder block and cylinder head(s) and all internal lubricated parts; intake and exhaust manifolds; oil pan and oil pump; seals and gasket; timing belt and pulleys; tensioner and guides; water pump; and engine mounts
    • Drive System
      Drive axle housing and all internal lubricated parts; axle shafts; drive shafts; center support bearings; wheel bearings; hub bearings; locking hub assembly; seals and gaskets; universal joints; constant velocity joints and boots
    • Transmission
      Transmission/trans axle/transfer/differential case and all internal parts; seals and gaskets; torque converter; flexplate or ring gear, clutch master cylinder and clutch slave cylinder; and transmission mounts

JimBlake 09-23-2009 04:07 PM

OK, so YOU bought it as a "CPO" car. I wasn't thinking of that program. Still, I don't know the wording of the warranty.

I bet you can go to ANY Honda dealer (just like the new-car warranty) but you can't easily go to a non-dealer repair shop. If you live near a big city, you should be able to shop more than one dealer.

It's usually the fly-by-night aftermarket warranty companies that have all kinds of disclaimers in there. Lots of excuses for them to refuse to honor the warranty.

Still, you MUST have gotten some paperwork when you bought it. THAT's what counts, not some printout from the internet.

KevinAccord 09-28-2009 07:21 PM

camshaft... stopped lubricating and it got stock/broken. at least that happened to my dad's tundra...i saw it and it was nasty man.

rjobs2004 09-29-2009 10:21 PM

Engine fixed

I have taken it to Honda dealer ,initially he said that engine was locked up.but late they said that it was Starter that was jam and it not making motor to revolve.
They replaced the starter and now my vehical is working fine.
the only worry part is their bill they charged me $835 including part($546) and labor

Thank you all of you for your repsonse.

Raghu

JimBlake 09-30-2009 06:57 AM

We're glad it's fixed.
What happened about the warranty coverage? Why did you have to pay?

nponer 09-30-2009 09:06 AM

if it was the starter why could the mechanic turn the crank by hand?