Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   accord v. jetta (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/accord-v-jetta-1783/)

tweenthuhedges24 01-22-2006 10:26 PM

accord v. jetta

One of my friends just got a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta 4 cyl turbo...I drive a 2000 Accord V6 but its only in stock form right now...what should I start with If I want to begin to mod my engine?

lightshow 01-23-2006 02:31 AM

RE: accord v. jetta

intake......a short ram intake

lightshow

tom15425 01-23-2006 09:32 PM

I just got an AEM shortram intake myself it and it sounds a hell of a lot better with a slight noticable power increase. If you did the whole I/H/E you'd probably pull out 20-25hp. Anyway, with the intake you'll have a much deeper sound coming from up front and I'd guess 5hp. My 01 accord had a resonator under the front bumper i went ahead and pulled out too; it's just a waste of space in my opinion. Headers and exhaust get a little pricey though and I haven't done a terrible amount of research into them yet. How much are you thinking of spending to start yourself off?

Shocker 01-24-2006 01:39 PM

I wouldnt go short ram, u eithier go big or go home... Go with a full true cold air intake, then do your exhaust next, and a short shifter that can help( not engine wise but it'll still help) cahnge your plugs, thats a start

tom15425 01-24-2006 10:54 PM

If your gonna do cold air I would recommend a bypass valve to make sure you don't suck up any water. They are only 50 bucks and they can save you a whole lot if you ended up running through a deep puddle.

EMEX 01-25-2006 07:54 AM

The good idea that everyone else is giving you is to start with an intake. Personally I prefer the short ram over cold air just because of the location where I love (you never know if it's gonna rain). Changing to high performance sparkplugs and sparkplug wires, using higher octane fuel (preferrably shell or 76), using full synthetic oil will also help. Catback would be a good thing to do too, but I would suggest changing your pulleys to allow a slight increase in torque as well as hp. If you're planning on doing the exhaust, do some research and see what would allow more power and for the sake of it, don't get something that crakles and stay away from generic wanna bees (example: like greddy look alikes).

lightshow 01-25-2006 09:52 PM

damn emex knows what he is talking about. the metal used to make a cold air intake gets real hot when sitting under the hood. the air inside gets real hot too. you can insulate it, which would be really good, but a cold air just doesnt utilize sound like it should. sound is a good friend to your motor, use it the right way, and youll be looking at some big power. (go with a short)

lightshow

EMEX 01-27-2006 06:41 AM

spend a lot of time around my friends who've done mods like that, besides i'm working right now on my second car, and currently taking classes to become a mechanic. most of my friends come to me for advice on parts.

marbro 01-28-2006 03:27 AM

I run a cold air intake and i also have the whole pipe wrapped with thermal wrap. I also have a DC sports 4-2-1 which i have wrapped with thermal wrap. Helps reduce heat and the only reason why im not running a short ram is cause where the pipe ends up.... it gets more water then running it as a CAI. Plus with the plastic cover across the whole bottom of the front of the car water in general is reduced to nill in that area....... stock honda intakes are so freaking horid....... but yes..... just buy a roll of thermal wrap and the majority of the heat exists at your filter instead of the whole short ram. Right now im still deciding how run the engine oil cooler that i want to get.

EMEX 01-29-2006 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: marbro

I run a cold air intake and i also have the whole pipe wrapped with thermal wrap. I also have a DC sports 4-2-1 which i have wrapped with thermal wrap. Helps reduce heat and the only reason why im not running a short ram is cause where the pipe ends up.... it gets more water then running it as a CAI. Plus with the plastic cover across the whole bottom of the front of the car water in general is reduced to nill in that area....... stock honda intakes are so freaking horid....... but yes..... just buy a roll of thermal wrap and the majority of the heat exists at your filter instead of the whole short ram. Right now im still deciding how run the engine oil cooler that i want to get.
Hey what accord do you have and how are the dc headers working out for you. cause i was thinking of getting them for my car, but i'm a big sceptic, and want to know what else is out there and if there's a notacible difference between them.