Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   which additive should i use on my car? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/additive-should-i-use-my-car-9276/)

thunder_x 05-01-2007 12:24 AM

which additive should i use on my car?

im deciding between...
bg44k
sea foam
Chevron
and lucas

i heard many great things about all of these, and im willing to pay 20 bucks a bottle, as long as it outperforms the rest of these additives

sssexy70 05-01-2007 12:31 AM

RE: which additive should i use on my car?

Lotsa people recommend seafoam on this site... I can't find it in Canada so far...

Honda_Dude 05-01-2007 12:43 AM

if you are talkin about FUEL additives...than LUCAS Complete Fuel Treatment is the best.........it comes in a fairly small bottle....

BATerrell 05-01-2007 12:47 AM

Marvel Mystery Oil has always served me well. Usually pick it up at Wal-Mart or any parts store.

4 ounces for every 10 gallons.

accord4sroy 05-01-2007 02:51 AM

bg44k is good about $17. i usually use seafoam. heard a lot of people use seafoam after every oil change. you can put that in your crankcase (your oil), but usually through the gas tank is good. lucas i have used. that stuff you can use regularly i heard. lucas does different things than seafoam. lucas is more of a lubrication thing, so its ingredients aren't as potent as seafoam's.

a note on the bg44k: using it once or twice a year is good enough. that's really strong stuff! it can even leave a little mark on a driveway for 10-20 minutes if you spill it. its a weird can, and its usually available at the dealer.

hope this helps. let me know if there is any other questions you have thunderx.

thunder_x 05-01-2007 03:47 AM

i was looking at the Chevron one, and they have 2 kinds, the regular one for cars, and the synthetic one, which costs like 2 bucks more
i use synthetic motor oil for my car and it works great, but do you need the fuel cleaner to be synthetic ?

accord4sroy 05-01-2007 04:32 AM

no the fuel cleaner doesn't have to be synthetic. i have never used chevron. good luck to whatever you use. sure it will be just fine.

RTexasF 05-01-2007 06:09 AM

For the money you'll be hard pressed to beat Chevron's Techron. Why do you feel you need one of the fuel additives?

Betta285 05-01-2007 07:41 AM

I've tried a bunch of both fuel system additives and engine treatment additives.
In my opinion, Techron FSC seems to work the best. I try to use it maybe once a month and every time i feel a (minor) difference in acceleration/throttle response and gas mileage goes up a tiny bit. As far as engine treatment, I think RESTORE engine treatment works the best. Supposed to increase compression. I use it after every oil change and power feels noticibly better since i've started using it. Plus it claims to lubricate and protect. I have 190,xxx miles and have been using these while experimenting other products too since about 170,xxx.
Rislone's compression repair seems okay too, but i've only used it once.

thunder_x 05-01-2007 10:45 PM

i want to start using additives because my car is old and it has high miles...