Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   anyone ever use Greddy synthetic oil? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/anyone-ever-use-greddy-synthetic-oil-7849/)

noboundaries6289 02-26-2007 12:31 PM

anyone ever use Greddy synthetic oil?

hey all. I was lookin around and came around some oil that greddy makes. I'm thinking about trying some.

"GR Synthetic Oil is made from the finest automotive grade, Group IV, PAO and Ester base oils and specially designed additive packages, the GR oil is designed specifically to protect and enhance modern, small displacement, high horsepower engines. GR-3, the 5W-30 is ideal for high revving normally-aspirated engines, like VTEC Hondas. GR-2, 5W-40 works great for stock or bolt-on turbo kits, while the flagship GR-1, 10W60 is geared towards super high horsepower built-engines with high boost. GR synthetic oil can be purchased at any Authorized GReddy Dealer. "

"GR-1, 10W-60 oil is highly shear-stable engine oil that offers exceptional engine protection in performance driving conditions. This is especially important when protecting highly modified balanced and blueprinted engines, with forged pistons and bored cylinders. This 10W-60 oil contains special additive packages to protect high-power, high-acceleration, racing cars; including: +650hp front wheel drive Drag cars to +1000hp High Speed 0-300km/h Supras and Skylines. "

"GR-2, 5W-40 can be used in all turbocharged or naturally aspirated gasoline and diesel engines used in performance cars. It is recommended for use in rallying, motor racing and other arduous driving conditions such as sustained high-speed motoring, or in slow moving, dense traffic conditions. GR-2 oil contains special additive packages and a PAO and Ester base to maintain smooth RPM response, even though it maybe a heavier weight oil then factory recommend. GR-2 provides need protection for bolt-on and upgraded turbo and supercharger kits for all makes. "

"GR-3, 5W-30 is recommended for use in rallying, motor racing and other arduous driving conditions such as sustained high-speed motoring, or in slow moving, dense traffic conditions, for all naturally aspirated engines, especially those with multi-valves. GReddy GR-3 is high performance lightweight oil, which protects while reducing friction whatever the RPM. Engines with advanced cylinder heads, including oil actuated camshafts and camshaft-timing designs, benefit highly from the consistent oil pressure of GR-3, even under high temperatures. "

Alittle long i know. but check out greddy.com. Anyone use any of this stuff?

Its expensive!!! $9.94 a quart for 5w30

if I have any info wrong, please feel free to correct me.

noboundaries6289 03-06-2007 01:46 AM

RE: anyone ever use Greddy synthetic oil?

c'mon, someone post a responce please.

Shadow1992 03-06-2007 02:07 AM

Any brand name fully synthetic oil will work. Althoughall companies, including Greddy, add or alter the chemical combinations in the oil, the difference are very minor. It's more of a personal preference and a matter of trust you have with the manufacturer of your fluids.

Honda_Dude 03-06-2007 11:21 PM

i have an 98 Honda Accord 3.0L V6 with 105,500, i use mobil 1 10w30. if i were you i would use the same, mobil 1 10w30 not 5w30 b/c ur and my car are "old" if you kno wat i mean. for older cars, its better to use 10w30 b/c its thicker than 5w30 which can help prevent leaks and bad seals. in my opinion, go woth Mobil 1

noboundaries6289 03-06-2007 11:47 PM

well. I got the car back from AAMCO people that replaced my radiator and VTEC Switch. They said the seal was leaking in it which was why there was oil on the ground everytime I park. He said a new one of these are about 3-$400 dollars. He charged me $97 and said he took the good parts off a used one, the good parts off my old one and created a "like new" part. You can tell he changed something (valve covers greasy, I cleaned them before I went there. Also, he offered to show me the damaged part they took off. You can tell the oil has been changed because I was little low on it, Which i later topped off. Did I get ripped off on the part itself? Thanks for your input

noboundaries6289 03-07-2007 12:32 AM

When going Dino to Synthetic, What gaskets should I watch for leaks from? I heard that high mileage vehicles can have leaks occur from this swap. Also, after you switch to synthetic can you go back to dino oil if a problem occurs? I'm getting ready to do a tming belt swap and I'm going to go ahead and replace the rear main seals while im at it. Is there a possibility that no leaks will occur? When I rev to 3-4k, engine is really loud! Will syn. lower volume of engine noise? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but i'm trying to build a "reliable" engine. Something that I can have fun in but at the same time not have to worry about things going wrong. Thanks for your input
PS: My main goal is to get my little honda running the best I can with my budget.

mrmookie123 03-07-2007 01:57 AM

I just put in a K&N air filter and will be switching to synthetic oil on my next change.
Aimsoil 5w 30 and Aimsoil filter.

19Accord97 03-07-2007 02:08 AM

I think if I go synthetic Ill just use Penzoils Platinum synthetic oil, its def. cheaper than the $10 Greddy synthetic oil. In my opinion, and like others have said, and synthetic is going to be pretty good stuff. 171k miles? That is quite a few, you will probably have a few leaks but they may seal up as they get used to it. Dont forget if you change to synthetic, I am pretty sure you'll need to change it more than usual for the first few thousand miles or so. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

noboundaries6289 03-07-2007 03:16 PM

ok, I guess i'll go with penzoil synthetic oil. What gaskets have a chance of leaking? Please don't let it be a head gasket. or would I be better just getting a high quality dino oil? Maybe Castrol GTX or something. I'm still deciding. I'm doing the change this afternoon. The filter is already picked out, A K&N oil filter. Any suggestions of what kind of oil and what brand reccommended would be appreciated.
I just noticed a banner ad, what about Royal Purple?

Goal of Change: Put high quality oil in without any leaks. Hopefully make engine run a little quieter.