Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   automatic to manual conversion (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/automatic-manual-conversion-6056/)

hypnoticxhyphy 11-22-2006 05:28 AM

automatic to manual conversion

hey guys,
i own a 2000 honda accord LX coupe.. 4cylinder.. automatic
i know all the problems associated with this tranny
its at 111k miles already so no warrenty
so this is what i was thinking... im pretty sure its a f23 vtec 2.3L engine
has anyone heard of a automatic to manual conversion for this car or similar?
if i am to do this, i want a strong 5speed manual tranny for future turbo..
ive heard dr. evil tranny's are the way to go, but i would like to know which would be best..
what do you guys think? is it worth it? estimated cost for the conversion?
i have plenty of guys that are knowledgable around cars to help with it.. they just need to know which parts
so if u guys could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

sir_nasty 11-22-2006 03:51 PM

RE: automatic to manual conversion

dr. evil tranny's are supposed to be great.... I think they run about $3000.00 for a complete tranny and can handle around 500 HP (based on a previous post that Yeum... posted) You need the tranny, probably a new ecu, axles, clutch pedal, cable, and possibly new hubs (not 100% sure), linkages, center console, shifter assembly and new motor mounts I believe.

hypnoticxhyphy 11-22-2006 05:18 PM

hmm so im lookin' at around $5,000 huh... so my question now is.. is it worth it to do the conversion considering i bought the car used for $7,200... is there any cheaper dr. evil tranny's? i dont think i'll get to 500hp... i would be happy to get 300hp out of it... i just want to make a street aggressive car.. i was thinking about selling this car and buying a car that already has a manual tranny and try to beef that up.. thanks for the heads up.. and im guessing no one makes a full conversion kit?

poser_pilot6 11-22-2006 05:23 PM

It would actually probably be a lot cheaper to just buy a car that is already manual. Depends on if you can sell your car for a good price and find a manual car that is in good shape. Its a lot of work to change from auto to manual. My cousin did it in his 87 Pathfinder, it was a huge pain.

hypnoticxhyphy 11-22-2006 06:50 PM

ok well i talked it over with my parents (since they own the car) and they just told me to modify this car as much as i want becuase the stick car i would get in place of this one would either be a mr2 spyder or s2000 and they dont want to pay more for that (car and insurance)... they're willing to help me pay for the conversion when the tranny goes... so until then i guess i'll do some light modifying that'll be compatible with the conversion... probably by then i can save up for the turbo kit... so i'll probably do the conversion and turbo at once.. maybe some engine work as well...

so i'll look around for a full list of what i need.. i'll keep you guys posted. thankss

YeuEmMaiMai 11-22-2006 07:32 PM

I second DR evil because unlike the Manual you can push 500HP through it