Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   bad valves k24 06 accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/bad-valves-k24-06-accord-61386/)

slackreracer 04-10-2015 11:17 AM

bad valves k24 06 accord

so I have an advice question. does anyone here think it would be smarter to bring my car in to have the head work done for $2000 with the car at the shop for upwards of 2 weeks, or to just get a new(used) head and swap it out myself?

TexasHonda 04-10-2015 12:21 PM

The DIY option w/ used head will be much cheaper. If you've ever done a timing belt you should be fine. Check ebay and car-part.com for used head options.

What happened to your head to require replacement?

good luck

redbull-1 04-10-2015 12:30 PM

The K24 has a timing chain; so, you'll probably need a service manual if you don't already have one.

slackreracer 04-10-2015 05:42 PM

Low oil pressure, lost chain tension and jumped timing by almost a quarter turn of the intake cam. I now have nearly zero compression on all four cylinders. Buying a new head instead of paying the almost 2 grand for the repair of the current head. Does anyone know how much of a difference connection wise a TSX head would be versus the accord head?

TexasHonda 04-11-2015 06:47 AM

Suggest replacing the chain tensioner and tensioner actuator also. They may be damaged.

Same head from a K24 engine should be similar price. There is significant price difference between salvage yards.

good luck

slackreracer 04-11-2015 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 358525)
Suggest replacing the chain tensioner and tensioner actuator also. They may be damaged.

Same head from a K24 engine should be similar price. There is significant price difference between salvage yards.

good luck

But I know the TSX head has a third set of cam, I am worried that the accord computer might not work right with it.

TexasHonda 04-11-2015 03:10 PM

Unless you like solving interface problems, go w/ an exact replacement head.

good luck

slackreracer 04-11-2015 05:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, oem it is

slackreracer 04-22-2015 09:44 PM

So I went and bought a used head from a recycler (Beltsville Auto Recyclers in Baltimore, if anyone in the Maryland area needs parts, they really are awesome people). So got the old head off, ready to start reinstalling everything, and I noticed the Pistons are dirty as hell. Is there any way of cleaning them in place without doing any damage to the block?

JimBlake 04-23-2015 08:48 AM

Turn the crank & put 2 pistons at TDC & work them. That covers up the cylinder walls.

Solvents & scraping with something soft. I've used a plastic putty-knife. I've also used a normal metal putty knife, but that's scary considering what might happen if I slip.

It's always an effort to prevent crud from falling down towards the rings.