Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Battery light comes on, then power steering seems to fail (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/battery-light-comes-then-power-steering-seems-fail-26853/)

tpstaples 07-23-2009 09:25 AM

Battery light comes on, then power steering seems to fail

Hey everyone...

My girlfriend asked me to post on a honda message board for her because something very strange is happening to her car and she's not sure what's going on. Honestly, though i've worked on cars my whole life, i'm also clueless. Maybe one of you can bring some light to the situation.

Her car: 2005 honda accord lx 4cyl

Problem: Sometimes, mostly when it's raining out, when she pulls into a parking spot the battery light will flash on the dashboard, and her power steering will fail. The steering doesn't lock, but it just seems to fail and it becomes very difficult to turn the wheel. Also, she's assured me that the car isn't stalling out.

any ideas?

JimBlake 07-23-2009 10:58 AM

Slipping alternator belt? The belt has a spring-loaded tensioner so you don't have to adjust it. But the belt can get old, hard, & slippery. And the tensioner can run out of travel as the belt stretches with age.

If it happens when the AC compressor engages, that's even more certainly related to the belt slipping.

I can't find a good picture, but there's a mark on the tensioner to show that it's still in the OK range of it's travel.

tpstaples 07-23-2009 11:00 AM

hmmmmm.. interesting
now would that be a simple fix of replacing the alternator/AC belt? or would i have to replace the tensioner as well?

JimBlake 07-23-2009 11:22 AM

Old & slippery belt you only have to replace the belt.

If she has a broken spring in the tensioner that would have to be replaced. But I don't think that's the case since it works OK most of the time???

tpstaples 07-23-2009 11:25 AM

Yes, it works ok most of the time.. it's only randomly that it gets screwed up. And that makes sense since it only happens when it's raining out. Rain = slippery

JimBlake 07-23-2009 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tpstaples (Post 178917)
... Rain = slippery

And rain = defroster = AC running.

Here's a picture of the marking on the tensioner.

tpstaples 07-23-2009 01:24 PM

yup.. that's gotta be it.

now i have to try and find her a new bumper because she's got a big crack in hers and we're thinking of selling her car.

Going to also post in the audio board because her radio will randomly make a loud popping noise and cut out on her. It wont come back on, then suddenly one day it will work again. Could be for 20 minutes, could be for 3 days, and then POP! it cuts out. Very strange.

chidveer 08-13-2013 10:13 AM

Same Issue and helpful,..
Thanks.

HonderOwner 08-22-2013 07:43 AM

My exact problem too in same circumstances (lack of power steering, battery light on, rain). Had the tensioner and belt replaced yesterday. Thanks for posting! Will now check the audio board as my radio has the same symptoms you describe (randomly makes a loud popping noise and cuts out).

Shone Langlois 12-29-2020 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake (Post 178913)
Slipping alternator belt? The belt has a spring-loaded tensioner so you don't have to adjust it. But the belt can get old, hard, & slippery. And the tensioner can run out of travel as the belt stretches with age.

If it happens when the AC compressor engages, that's even more certainly related to the belt slipping.

I can't find a good picture, but there's a mark on the tensioner to show that it's still in the OK range of it's travel.

Exact same problems, minus the radio issue on my 2008 V6 Accord. Thank you for sharing your info. Will bring it in tomorrow.