Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   best ways to boost low end torque? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/best-ways-boost-low-end-torque-12942/)

6genex 10-02-2007 12:06 AM

best ways to boost low end torque?

anyone know the best and cheapest quality ways to boost low end torque?

ckebottle 10-02-2007 12:27 AM

RE: best ways to boost low end torque?

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

00AccordLX5spd 10-02-2007 09:07 AM

If you have a header, take it off and put the stock manifold back on.

Velocifero 10-02-2007 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

but who would do that? :D

00AccordLX5spd 10-02-2007 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

but who would do that? :D

Hey...he asked for a "best and cheapest quality way," that is the first and only thing that came to my mind. Plus it is free:D

HondaRacer4Vtec 10-02-2007 11:51 AM

Turbo? maybe

falkore24 10-02-2007 02:25 PM

wet nitrous FTW!!!!! [sm=nxsmile.gif] $500-750 depending on options and you set your gains! A 4-cyl is good for a 50HP setup safely. I have a friend that is pushing a 90 dry shot through a 98 Civic EX! That car has a few mods that allow that though (multiple electronic upgrades and parts, 260 injectors, custom ported Skunk 2 IM, 72mm TB, performance headers & exhaust, etc.) ....... for the guys that have read my past posts, this is the crazy master machinist that pours custom bushings. ..... the car can also handle a 1.3 g turn!!!

00AccordLX5spd 10-02-2007 02:28 PM

Neither turbo nor nitrous would help with low end torque though. You can't even (or you shouldn't)spray nitrous in 1st gear and the turbo has to spool up. Plus they are neither cheap nor easy[:'(]

sir_nasty 10-02-2007 02:34 PM

I don't think there is a whole lot of options for boosting low end torque without spending a fair amount of cash. You could re-gear the tranny, a new tuneable computer could help, maybe an adjustable cam gear and advance it just a little...

thaxman 10-02-2007 06:10 PM

Personal experience...Anyone??

'97 EX wagon (2.2 VTEC auto)
Satisfied with the adequate hp for a family hauler. Mostly want more oomph btw 2K-3K before the lift shift. Not looking to outlaunch M3s or anything, just add to passing ability & freeway merge w/o dipping into the gas-sucking high-lift cam profile, so maybe 30-40 ft-lbs. I also am concerned about passing the under-hood emissions visual.
Owned a T-Bird SC & so I know a supercharger will do it - any products for this application that anyone is aware of?
What have you all experienced from a turbo...on the 2.2VTEC?
Ram air? I saw that the short tube only pulls from under hood. Adequate or is a long run the much better option & where does it pull from?
Will a anything mentioned get the MVD grumbling?
Lastly, what's the cost for chip replacement & how bulletproof is it? I've got 117K on the clock & would like to double that like my last one did (90 CRX base 1.5)

If I can get torque up, I am considering re-gearing the tranny down some so that it runs under 3K at 85 mph. Anyone done something similar?