Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Bypass o2 sensor? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/bypass-o2-sensor-28491/)

Senior Taco 10-08-2009 08:54 PM

Bypass o2 sensor?

First off hi all :D im new to the forums and new to Honda's. Let me first say this is my first Honda, and i absolutely love it :P what a fun little car. Ive got my self a 99 Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl (F23A1) with a 5 speed and 122k miles on it i just poped out the wheel bearing put in a new one thing rolls around like its brand new now no problems with anything (i hope to post pics and vids soon enough).

Well I am looking to build my f23 for some power (hopefully a turbo eventually but not going to go over 7psi for any reason) I want to say first off im no mechanic and i dont pretend to be. I am however decent at reverse engineering and ive got alot of common sense so I am pretty good at doing just about anything on it by my self, just by doing my research and reading manuals, forums, asking friends with real experience, etc. Currently i am working on putting a test pipe in but the dreaded check engine light has gone off :*( . I know why though the o2 sensor that belongs in my cat is not hooked up. Now I know you can trip an o2 sensor by wiring in a resistor. I read some where about a guy successfully doing this on his 5th gen prelude with a 10 Mega ohm 1/4 watt resistor, I figured (and figured wrong at that) that i could get this same resistor and throw it on the o2 sensor with out a problem... WRONG, lol it worked fine at first but after a little while of driving the lower range 1k~2.3kish rpm the engine starts to sputter and back fire alot (works fine in the high end though) i assume the resistor is wrong and the engine is miscalculating the fuel air ratio, it started out fine and little by little over a like 80 mile driving span it started out sputtering just a little and kept getting worse and worse (got to a point where sometimes when id coast at like 1900 rpm or so it would just back fire quickly like 30 times in a row :eek: ) till eventually the light turned on. since the light turned on the car seems to run fine in fail safe mode. I had a buddy of mine reset it and i drove it another 40 miles back home and although it tried to do it once i kept the engine either in the 3k rpm range or i left it idling and it didn't give me any problems. I need to figure out which resistor i need to splice into my pre-cat o2 sensor to make it run completely normal as right now it seems to me its getting a slightly thrown off reading with the current resistor. Anyone got any idea which one I will need to use?

UPDATE: just a few minutes after posting this i headed out to a customer's house to do a backup and while driving it low and slow out of the neighborhood (neighbors would freak if i wake em up with that car) i got maybe 1/4 mile ~1/2 mile and the light went off again, i kept it under 1.5k rpm and got it to 5th before it went off. there was no sputtering or anything before.

Thanks loads guys :)

KevinAccord 10-09-2009 09:06 AM

I have no idea which resistor to use, but you could just get an o2 sensor and olug it in... Right?
I've heard, repeat, heard that you can just attach it to another sensor. It doesn't make much sense but I just heard that...

kg6nlb 10-18-2009 01:54 AM

I had the catalytic converter changed on my 2000 accord about 2-3 years ago and almost immediately the check engine light came on, I pulled the code and it had a P0420 code for a catalytic converter low effeciency. After going back and forth with the exhaust shop a few times, they kept telling me at first that the O2 in the side of the cat must have went bad. I knew better but changed it anyways and kept the reciept. The light came on the same day again and took it back to them where they again checked it out and said I had an exhaust leak from a cracked exhaust manifold and that it was causing cold air on deceleration to be caught up in the exhaust and was throwing the reading of the O2 to a lean condition and causing the light to go on. I finally got tired of their crap and called a friend of mine at Honda and he said it was a cheap cat that would probably last for quite a long time but it just wasn't efficient enought to pass the PCM tolerances and he told me to figure out the thread pitch of the O2 sensor and install a spark plug anti-fouler in the catalytic converter and then screw in the O2 sensor to that. The anti-fouler had to be drilled out a little to accomodate the O2 but after that the light has stayed off ever since and that was about a year ago.

zakelrod 05-31-2012 11:05 PM

did anyone ever get anything

ive had my car for about a month now, i took the cat off and saw someone hollowed it out, and the o2 sensor needs to be replaced, but i know the engine light will come on, does anyone know what Resistor or wire to run too.:confused:

crispin 05-31-2012 11:16 PM

Start a new thread please