Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Camshaft Movement (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/camshaft-movement-11372/)

mck52689 07-30-2007 01:40 AM

Camshaft Movement

Now im no expert on engines because i have help alot... but i am helping my friend put his accord back together because he had to get a new head... we put the camshaft on then the rocker arms... but im not quite sure... this ? is for people who have done a head swap or timing belt..... when the rocker arms are bolted on over the camshaft f22a... is the camshaft supposed to be able to move? or is it supposed to be in snug and not able to move without force? if you get what im saying

JimBlake 07-30-2007 09:07 AM

RE: Camshaft Movement

What direction of motion?

Axial - in & out along the axis of the camshaft - not good.
Radial - grab the gear & move up down & sideways - really not good.

If it was lubricated properly when assembled, it should spin without extreme force. You'll be working against the valve springs, but should be able to spin it.

sir_nasty 07-30-2007 11:38 AM

Like JimBlake said you shouldn't be able to wiggle it around or in/out but as for rotations the cam lobes should be impacting the valves properly and then the only thing that you are working against is the valve springs, if the lobes aren't hitting anything then you have some issues.

mck52689 07-30-2007 12:21 PM

ohh no like i know the lobes will strike the cam shaft.... but im just saying am i supposed to be able to spin it... or is it supposed to be firm?.... because my brother told me i shouldnt be able to but because an engine is strong it can make it spin with the power? am i wrong on this?

because i cant turn the cam gear unless i use a socket on it and use strength.... but is that right?

BlkCurrantKord 07-30-2007 12:44 PM

Sounds right, I could've move mine when I did my head swap.

BlkCurrantKord 07-30-2007 12:45 PM

Sounds right, I couldn't move mine when I did my head swap.

mck52689 07-30-2007 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: BlkCurrantKord

Sounds right, I couldn't move mine when I did my head swap.
THANK YOU!

JimBlake 07-30-2007 10:56 PM

You can spin it with some muscle. It's not real easy.

If it's installed on the engine, you have to be careful about CRANK position so the valves don't hit the pistons. Then you'd feel pretty silly about bending your valves just by messing around & spinning the cam...

Once you get over the top of the cam, the valve spring then pushes the camshaft AHEAD. Whe the engine's running, the forces even out over time. And most important when it's running there's oil pressure and the bearings & cam lobes are being lubricated.

LinX 08-18-2007 12:05 PM

Aside from timing the head, make sure you use proper torque specs so that means get a torque wrench so you know they're on snug but don't break the bolts.

Tony1M 08-19-2007 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake.......................................... ............
If it's installed on the engine, you have to be careful about CRANK position so the valves don't hit the pistons. Then you'd feel pretty silly about bending your valves just by messing around & spinning the cam...
Ditto!! You have an interference engine.