Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Camshaft Sensor type

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Default Camshaft Sensor type

Hi all!

I am a 2009 Accord enthusiast who is trying to learn more about how the engine works. To be honest, I have research intentions which I can't divulge. Nonetheless, my current interest is learning more about the camshaft sensor. I see that the sensor itself is the Denso 196-2005. I can't seem to find what kind of sensor it is... (magnetic, Hall effect, optical, etc.). I even tried calling Denso, but they didn't answer back. The second question, what does the signal look like? Does the camshaft have a strange pattern wheel? And lastly, what does it look like in relation to the crankshaft signal? I have figured out what the crankshaft signal is all about, but need to know when the camshaft signal changes relative to the crankshaft top dead center signal.

Thank you,
Matt

Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Cool question. I knew that at one point (when it needed replacing) but I don't recall.

techinfo.honda.com may give you the info you need. a one-day membership is reasonable given the wealth of information. A service manual will include test procedures to determine if the sensor is functioning properly.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

The cam "pulse plates" are shown in the picture at the opposite end as the sprockets. (#2 & 3 in the picture) The camshaft sensors poke towards those plates from that end of the head.

Since the pulse plates are inside the space where oil is flying around, I have a hard time believing the sensors would be optical. Magnetic vs. hall-effect I'm not sure how I'd find out...

Those plates are surprisingly inexpensive, like $10. But the sensors are pricey. I don't know if you buy those plates if you can tell what they're doing. I can't tell much from the parts drawing.

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft Sensor type-2009-4cyl-camshafts.gif