Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Can I power wash the grease off my engine? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/can-i-power-wash-grease-off-my-engine-11044/)

mck52689 07-17-2007 02:45 PM

Can I power wash the grease off my engine?

My engine is going to be taken apart.... but theres grease everywhere on it.... the engine wont be in the car but i wanna do the head and intake manifold, the block will still be in the car.... how can i do the block and tranny? without power washing that? someone told me its ok to powerwash the outer parts of the head and whatnot thats out...

smaglik 07-17-2007 03:09 PM

RE: Can I power wash the grease off my engine?

i would be very careful with powerwashing anything under the hood....water resistant and water proof are two completely different things.

mck52689 07-17-2007 03:11 PM

well no i was saying im not powerwashing under the hood..... im rebuilding the engine... but taking all the things out... so i mean the head wouyld be seperate, and so would the intake manifold.

smaglik 07-17-2007 03:20 PM

personally i would probably get a degreaser and scrub...you may have to do that anyway.

mck52689 07-17-2007 03:22 PM

i have degreaser but idk about all the scrubbing haha hmm.. if i power washed it... the head and intake manifold what harm could it do... because it would be drying before i put it back in.

sir_nasty 07-17-2007 03:34 PM

I may be mistaken but I thought you had a similar thread about this.... as far as the head an intake manifold go just make sure you dry and remove as much water as possible (especially from the outside) and don't leave it sitting off the car for to long so as to make sure there isn't a chance of any rust building up (most of it's aluminum anyway....) As for the block/tranny be sure you cover your distributor/distributor cap and coil with a plastic bag then tape it in place, as long as the head is on there you can then powerwash the whole engine, if you get water into the distributor cap it takes a while to re-start that's why covering that is smart, dealerships do it all the time when they take a car in on trade, I would also suggest that if possible wait for the engine to cool down before you spray it with cold water

mck52689 07-17-2007 03:39 PM

hmm well i was going to do it when its off and let it dry.... is there any other way to dry it faster while its off the car to prevent rust build up?

BlkCurrantKord 07-17-2007 03:41 PM

Just pull the motor apart and take it to an engine shop and tell them you want it hot tanked (removes all grease, oil, dirt, etc) and let them re assemble the motor with all your new parts.

sir_nasty 07-17-2007 03:45 PM

You can wash it while it's off the car and let it dry, I was just saying don't let it sit for like 3 months after it's washed, if it sits for a few weeks or a month it shouldn't be a problem. If you are REALLY worried about it then you can pull the valve cover (which I would suggest doing anyway to clean it and all the buildup inside) and then take some oil and pour it over the top of the head and it should seep in and coat everything so that it can't rust, this isn't neccessary over a short period but it's not going to hurt anything, you'll just have to make sure that the oil doesn't get on the bottom of the head.... My personal opinion, I'd just take the thing off, remove the valve cover, pressure wash it with some degreaser and make sure it's re-installed within 2 weeks.

mck52689 07-17-2007 04:12 PM

yea i planned on that because i was going to have it finished by next week... but i know it should be cleaned because all by the intake manifold is grease and oil, and i just want it too look clean when im done also.... but as i was saying before but did not get many responses... if i clean up all the grease and build up replace pistons etc... and it is done correctly it should run good again right?