Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   carb to fuel injected? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/carb-fuel-injected-15291/)

majikmajisto 01-10-2008 06:28 PM

carb to fuel injected?

i have an '86 accord 2.2l bbl. im considering on swithching from a carb to fuel injected
and i was wondering what would be the best choice>

thanks

majikmajisto 01-10-2008 06:35 PM

RE: carb to fuel injected?

correction to engine size.

1986 Accord: 2.0L(1955cc), BS, 2bbl, SOHC 12-valve

sir_nasty 01-10-2008 06:37 PM

if the 86 was available in fuel injected it's going to take some work but it's possible.... Why do you want to switch it?

majikmajisto 01-10-2008 06:40 PM

im having some idle and high rev problems with the carb. it wants to stall while driving down the road

sir_nasty 01-10-2008 06:57 PM

After my 81 civic sat for a while I had similar issues, I just ran a few bottles of carb cleaner through the gas, replaced spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires and it smoothed right out...

May or may not solve your issues but if it hasn't been done in a while then you may as well start with things that need to be done regardless of what you do....

majikmajisto 01-10-2008 07:05 PM

i've replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. and it still does the same thing.
i have carb cleaner and i've used that but it just makes it smoke really bad.

would a fuel injection be a better option than the carb?

JimBlake 01-10-2008 10:42 PM

I like injection better than carburators, but swapping would be a tremendous big job. If you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, go for it.

But it's so much easier to overhaul the carb.

majikmajisto 01-10-2008 11:50 PM

thats what i have heard but what are the differences between the two? Is injection better than a carb, or vice-versus?

JohnL 01-11-2008 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: majikmajisto
im having some idle and high rev problems with the carb. it wants to stall while driving down the road
Talk about using a shotgun to kill a mosquitto!!

To answer your other question, injection is in principle superior to carburetion. Does this mean you should convert your car to injection? IMO the answer is a definite no. Assuming there are no other issues with the motor (and if there are injection won't fix it), all you should do is either rebuild the carb or fit an exchange carb (if you can find one). If your carb is really sick you might find a good one at a wreckers.

The easiest way to fit injection would be to fit an entire engine that is already injected (plus all the bits and pieces that go with it), converting your existing engine will be a huge amount of work and cost more in the long run, and the result is unlikely to be as good. It would be way cheaper to convert the existing carb to a Weber or some other performance carb than to convert to injection, and the result if properly sorted would likely be better.