Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Changing Tranny fluid Q's (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/changing-tranny-fluid-qs-11112/)

bssmagik83 07-20-2007 10:17 AM

Changing Tranny fluid Q's

Ok soI just hit 30K on my car and changed my tranny fluid..I was wondering if I should go ahead and replace all the fluid as it only drains 2.4 quarts of fluid at a time..Do i need to drive it for a bit and then do it again? Or is what I have done fine?

JimBlake 07-20-2007 11:30 AM

RE: Changing Tranny fluid Q's

Manual tranny? That's all the fluidthere is. No need to do more.

Automatic? If it's dirty or smelly you can do this repeatedly until it dilutes all the old stuff out. But if it looks good when you drain it, I'd just leave it as is.

TwItChIe2002 07-26-2007 10:10 AM

I have an 88 accord and cannot figure out where the heck the transmission fluid thing is located. (Can you tell I'm a clueless girl??). I bought the car and there is no manual or anything. However, in my trunk is a bottle of Honda Transmission fluid which leads me to believe there is a way to put it in!! I say this car my car idles really high and shifts really rough, and shakes like mad on the highway (anything over 55). Could this be my issue??

It's an automatic btw

smaglik 07-26-2007 01:18 PM

i doubt the shaking is related to your transmission....and since you found a bottle of ATF in the trunk, it leads me to beleive there may be a tranny problem...why else would you keep it in the trunk.

Have you checked the level of the fluid? How do you know its low? It may be worth the 15$ for a haynes manual...

00AccordLX5spd 07-26-2007 01:45 PM

The tranny fluid dipstick is located near or underneathyourbattery, on the front right portion of the trans. Check it and see if it's low.
The drain plug is underneath the car on one of the far sides of the trans (not sure which side). You will need to jack up the car and support it on jackstands to get to it. You also are supposed to have the trans at operating temperature when you do a drain & refill so you will need to drive it a little before hand to get it warmed up. be careful as some components of the car will be hot.
You refill the trans fluid through the dipstick hole. Do not overfill it.

x2 on the Haynes manual for maintenance procedures such as this. It will probably show you the locations of the plug & dipstick. I tried to upload pics from the online manual in the DIY section but I couldn't get them to post.

finch13 07-26-2007 01:53 PM

Be sure to check the shavings on the magnetic plug and clean it as well.