Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Cleaning An Engine (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/cleaning-engine-1515/)

HondaPitStop01 12-21-2005 03:10 AM

Cleaning An Engine

my engine is really dirty and i was wondering what was the best way to clean it.. steam clean, high pressure wash or what. i already know that i have to cover the spark plugs do i have to cover anything else before cleaning it?

poliwog823 12-21-2005 04:15 AM

RE: Cleaning An Engine

you have to cover the computer and anything else electrical and you also have to cover the intake (a bread bag works great)

WheelBrokerAng 12-21-2005 11:31 PM

Hey Poliwog823...good idea with the bread bag, I never thought of what to do with my X bags before...we ought to market them on e-Bay for $1.00 each and put our speed part names on them or sumption likes that....lol

WheelBrokerAng [sm=groupwave.gif]

poliwog823 12-22-2005 12:58 AM

Sound like a plan WheelBrokerAng anything to stop me from workin' for the MAN....lol

deserthonda 12-23-2005 04:10 AM

if ur car is 89 or older put a plastic cover over the distributor if 90 and newer do not worry about anything ,,make sure engine is off, spary some simple green and wash away.. do not hold hose over the alternator for a ong time ,, other than that u are ok, through my years as a tech i have washed thousands of engines

HondaPitStop01 12-24-2005 06:21 PM

thanks for the advice

Schu 12-27-2005 01:01 AM

For my 2003 LX, I like Simple Green too. I use an old vinyl siding wash bottle filled with SG connected to a garden hose to spread the SG quickly, easily and everywhere. I like low pressure, but I'm a coward.

I always cover the alternator, but I don't bother with much else. Also, I highly recommend rubber gloves to protect hands when reaching into the engine compartment with a microfiber towel, brush or whatever you prefer to use to wipe some off the heavier deposits. With my hands protected, I find I dig further into the engine compartment and get better results.

Another tool I find helpful is a 3 foot watering nozzle (see Orbit 58290 36" 9 Pattern Water Wand at Amazon as an example.) The length of the nozzle allows for some great angles from back of the engine compartment, lower into the engine compartment and from underneath. The long reach of the watering nozzle really helps to rinse all that simple green and dirt/grease away.

Good luck and have fun.

F23AccordLX 03-02-2006 10:45 PM

here's another good tip, after you spent a lot of time cleanig your engine, go get a can of ARMOR ALL tire foam and blast the entire engine. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes (or whenever the foam tire shine becomes runny) and then wipe the entire motor down. ALL of your hoses and everything else under your bay that is dark will shine black. It looks sick

AgentofDarkness 03-05-2006 12:21 PM

Don't use a pressure washer, the high pressure could break things under the hood. Use the chemicals the other guys suggested or some engine degreaser.

WheelBrokerAng 03-05-2006 03:17 PM

FINE ANSWER.. The other way causes some problems that I had when I tryed that about 20 years ago
:eek:

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Don't use a pressure washer, the high pressure could break things under the hood. Use the chemicals the other guys suggested or some engine degreaser.