Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Clutch losing pressure on a '92 accord (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/clutch-losing-pressure-92-accord-44310/)

ginag 12-05-2011 06:56 PM

Clutch losing pressure on a '92 accord

I'm new here, so I hope I'm in the right place for my question.

I'm not much of a car person, but I'd like to know more so I can make an educated decision on any work i need done. I have a 92 EX manual transmission Accord. The car was originally my father's and has driven great for me up until about a month ago. I started to notice the car wasn't shifting as smoothly as normal, but didn't have a lot of time to get it checked out. One afternoon in late October, as I was leaving work for the day, upon starting my car, I couldn't get it in gear. After a frantic call to my brother (a good car guy himself, but who lives in another state) I did get my car in gear and took it to a quick lube to see if they could check my transmission fluid. Everything looked good there, so they sent me to a clutch shop to get it bled as the pedal had really low pressure. The clutch shop bled my clutch and told me that I probably needed to get my slave and master cylinders replaced. I took it back in a few weeks later to get that done.

Fast forward to today - my car has been driving great since getting the parts replaced until again, in the same spot as last time, my clutch lost all pressure (this time I knew what i was looking/feeling for) and I couldn't get the car into gear. I pumped the pedal a good number of times and eventually I was able to get it in gear and drive home, but I'm still left with a car that isn't shifting well and more work to be done.

So here's my question: does this sound like a faulty part from the replacement I just had or is there something else that would be causing my clutch to lose pressure?

Thank you!

JimBlake 12-05-2011 08:28 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that it worked WELL after the hydraulic system was replaced... I'd say it might be the clutch disk is getting warped & dragging.

OTOH, it might also be something going on with the clutch hydraulic pipe/hose. If the rubber part of the hose is rotting out, maybe it's shedding bits of rubber into the system. You already have new clutch master & slave, but how about that hose and/or tubing?

ginag 12-06-2011 08:33 AM

When I took it in a month ago, I took in my own parts and had them use mine. I took in all three parts - master, slave and the hydraulic hose - but they didn't replace the hose as the part was still in my car when I got it back.

The upside of taking in my own parts? I paid less for the repairs. The downside? Now if it was one of my parts that is malfunctioning, they won't guarantee the parts.