Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Coffee Colored Coolant?? PLEASE HELP! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/coffee-colored-coolant-please-help-59277/)

Gravity_Sun 06-07-2014 07:34 AM

Coffee Colored Coolant?? PLEASE HELP!

2 Attachment(s)
I should probably start off by saying that I know literally next to nothing about cars, and am a first time, very new, car owner.

So, here's the story. I took my car in to get the VTech fixed. Overall, car runs fine. Has some slight slipping issues with the transmission which I'm working on getting fixed.

While fixing the VTech, I took it to a Honda dealership and they were supposed to reprogram it, a process that I was told would take 30 minutes. It wound up taking over 3 hours, because they ran into "problems" with my car. When I asked what problems, the service lady had no idea.

Anyway, so I'm in a hurry, get my car, and rush off to work. After work, I head home, and notice that my hood wasn't properly closed. So I pop it, open it to just re-close it, and notice that there's what looks like coffee around (what I think is) my radiator.

I've never noticed anything leaking from my car, though I've only owned it a month and some change. I've always been pretty diligent to look under it and around it and I've never noticed anything leaking at any point, so I doubt this is something that's been going on for a while now.

Car handled fine, didn't notice any smoking or smells, no lights, and it also didn't have any issues with overheating or anything. Had I not popped the hood I honestly probably wouldn't have noticed an issue.

I checked the oil dipstick, didn't notice anything off there, and I recently had it changed (maybe 10 days ago or so) so it just looked like oil, still fairly clean looking to me. I'm going to call Honda and my dealership back today, see what they say, but in the mean time, any suggestions? Ideas?

TexasHonda 06-07-2014 07:48 AM

What year/trim of your Accord?

Check coolant reservoir as possible source of brown substance (oil/coolant mix perhaps). If yes, you may have a leaking head gasket allowing oil to enter coolant stream. Usually, you may get an overflow of the coolant system which may be source of brown liquid.

good luck

Gravity_Sun 06-07-2014 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 346544)
What year/trim of your Accord?

Check coolant reservoir as possible source of brown substance (oil/coolant mix perhaps). If yes, you may have a leaking head gasket allowing oil to enter coolant stream. Usually, you may get an overflow of the coolant system which may be source of brown liquid.

good luck

It's a 2002 2-Door.

Stupid question: What is the coolant reservoir and how do I check it?

shipo 06-07-2014 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gravity_Sun (Post 346555)
It's a 2002 2-Door.

Stupid question: What is the coolant reservoir and how do I check it?

The coolant reservoir is the dirty/oily looking white plastic thing to left (on the right side of the car) of the radiator cap in the picture you posted. To check it you simply pop open the cap.

Which engine and transmission do you have in your 2002 2-Door?