Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   A couple bothersomes. Need input. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/couple-bothersomes-need-input-11590/)

dasjestyr 08-07-2007 08:04 PM

A couple bothersomes. Need input.

Im actually kinda new to hondas so im wondering if you have any input on any of these few issues. 1998 Accord EX v6 auto;

- I just noticed that when i put the key into accessories or even start the car, the check engine light comes on and blinks about 11 times then goes out and never comes on again until the car is off and i put it in accessory or start it. I dunno if this is new or not, i just noticed it. No real noticable performance degradation otherwise. I know all the lights come on to test, but i didnt the check engine light should blink, and if it isnt supposed to blink, why does it go out?

- I also started noticing a bit of a burnt rubber smell outside the forward part of the car but I cant seem to locate the source. No its not the tires lol. The belts are starting to squeak a bit but it didnt seem like the smell was coming from there although it might actually be. The only thing i can think of in the engine compartment that would make that smell are the belts, but wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something.

- The transmission is starting to worry me. It actually performs nicely, except between 1st and 2nd. It shifts hard into 2nd, not quite slamming but theres a noticable jerk in it. rare that there is any audible thump, but it happens from time to time. Also, while slowing down it jerk from 2nd to 1st but seems like its only if im slowing down very gradually or very quickly, anywhere inbetween it'll jerk down into 1st (maybe its 1st to neutral, cant tell). I watch the tach to see if maybe its slipping, it should race up for a second just before the jerk if it is slipping, right? It doesnt. But it will bounce up and down a few times(approx +/- 75rpm, very very subtle) as im coming to a stop, but it only jerks once suring that last shift. sorta feels like im stopping like an old lady that doesnt know how much pressure to put on it. Its definately abnormal, but should it warrant me taking it to aamco to have them break into it?

Other than these few things, the car is great condition.. The tranny thing is the only thing really making me kinda worrysome. Any input?

accord4sroy 08-07-2007 08:20 PM

RE: A couple bothersomes. Need input.

Don't take it to aamco first of all since Honda's transmissions require their own fluid. So, take it to the dealer. I got mine serviced today just a drain and fill and it shifts so smoothly. If its a more serious condition they might ask you to flush it out, but usually Honda recommends drain and fill to avoid wear to the clutch packets. Or, shall I say they recommend to drain and fill to avoid wear to the clutch packets.

Anyways, hopefully this helps you out. It doesn't sound like you got too bad of a problem, but definitely needs to be checked out. My diagnosis would be dirty fluid and when that fluid gets hot it can mean more strain on the tranny.