Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Delayed Acceleration... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/delayed-acceleration-14851/)

ohsmustangs09 12-22-2007 12:18 PM

Delayed Acceleration...

When i step on it (pedal to floor basically) to past people or w/e it stays going the same speed then after a second or so it finally takes off...Is this a spark plug problem ? or what? and info would be great thanks!

sir_nasty 12-22-2007 12:28 PM

RE: Delayed Acceleration...

Poor spark plug performance can cause reduced throttle response.... Since you already have a SRI I would suggest new spark plugs (NGK ONLY) a dist. cap and rotor since those parts will be fairly inexpensive. No guarantee that it will resolve your issue but if you haven't changed them out in a while then it probably needs to be done anyway and it's not going to make it any worse.

ohsmustangs09 12-22-2007 12:32 PM

I did a minor tune up whenever i got the car about a year ago with spark plugs, wires, and a distributor cap and rotor i dont even know the name of or anything about...So maybe it is time to get new stuff....

Do i need to replace the wires at that time too ? Should I get Iridium plugs ?
What cap and rotor do you recommend ?>

sir_nasty 12-22-2007 12:39 PM

As for the plugs I personally have never used the iridium but the people who have say they're fantastic. As for the cap and rotor I'd just get OEM honda if it's not to spendy, they're usually pretty cheap ($20 or so for the pair) if the dealer tries to rip you a new one then I'd just buy something from the local auto parts store. As for wires, depending on how old they are and what brand they are you can possibly get away with just keeping the same ones (vague enough for you? *L*) The reason I left wires out is because they're like $90 I think... fairly expensive in my book, but if you need them then buy a set (believe it or not some of the cheapest ones I found were OEM from the dealer directly and those are some of the best for your car)

ohsmustangs09 12-22-2007 12:50 PM

Summit is conveniently about 5 minutes from my house...and they have an* BUTT LOAD FULL** This sounds much better than that other word: Please no foul wording..kids are in the forums also THANKS! ;)load of parts for my car...they have NGX iridiums for $5 a pop...and they have a MSD modified distributor cap and rotor kit for $48 and its said to increase HP and response times...but it doesnt work with the stock coil...w/e that is ?
they have too many wire sets to choose from, but mine are only about a year old, if even that...

sir_nasty 12-22-2007 12:59 PM

the MSD modified should provide a hotter more consistent spark but will require a more powerfull coil as well. What spark plugs do you have in there now? Do you remember where you got the wires from/what they are?

ohsmustangs09 12-22-2007 01:03 PM

Yea the only other coil they have is ACCEL and its $50....i really dont know what plugs i have in now...but my stepdad got all that stuff at a parts store in town...so they probly arent that great....
I didnt know anything about cars a year ago...
So they probly arent the best plugs, wires, cap, or rotor...wouldn't ya think ?

WheelBrokerAng 12-22-2007 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ohsmustangs09

When i step on it (pedal to floor basically) to past people or w/e it stays going the same speed then after a second or so it finally takes off...Is this a spark plug problem ? or what? and info would be great thanks!
Also you may want to change your Fuel Filter....;)

sir_nasty 12-22-2007 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: ohsmustangs09

Also you may want to change your Fuel Filter....;)
Good call on the fuel filter.... Make sure your dad didn't get Bosch plugs, most older generations swore by them but they're horrible for imports. Just pull a plug out and check it

ohsmustangs09 12-22-2007 01:20 PM

Just had that done yesterday, actually..paid $60 to have it done because neither I or my stepdad could get to that thing.....why did you edit my msg...*** isnt a bad word...im a kid and it doenst offend me, any kid younger than me shouldnt be driving legally anyways!

Rule #3 of the New Members forum needs to have you read it and Heed it...it offends me when I see foul words and that's good enough for me to enforce the rules of this forum..You do understand ! Don't You ;)

WheelBrokerAng [sm=closed.gif]