Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine making Hydraulic sound at startup... (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-making-hydraulic-sound-startup-58229/)

iggys-amsoil 02-12-2014 07:19 PM

Engine making Hydraulic sound at startup...

Well the title should say it all. And its not the battery as this has been doing this for months and I give up. And it doesn't knock like its over heated. When its cold enough she'll crank normally but if to long start to hydraulic. Hold the key and after several revolutions without gas will start. Give it gas and your pretty much done for awhile. At the hydraulic sound, let key off wait a second for the relay to click and try again and always starts up, albeit a couple hydraulic a revolutions.

No check engine light. Well there is but it blinks 17 times which points to the speedo. Which the cable? broke at 352,000k. Should be No relation cause this has been going on before this.

Once started she runs great with 360,000k. 88 Accord.

I keep thinking fuel or a sensor. Fuel filter and pump test ok, checked the main relay and wasn't getting voltage to the pump as I bypassed that per the manuel, get new relay and same thing. However it does seem to start easier but that maybe an illusion. PLus the old still works. ARRRRRR.......

I checked the TW sensor and it checks out fine. I really don't know what else to do. Aside from taking it in. As I have spent most of the weekend reading this site.

Thank for any help.

TexasHonda 02-13-2014 10:54 AM

Suggest cleaning choke system and checking that choke is functioning correctly; closed when cold and fully opening when warm.

I assume this a carbed engine. Please clarify if fuel injected.

good luck

poorman212 02-13-2014 11:15 AM

I'm confused, can you take a sound clip of the noise? Trying to figure out "a noise" over the internet in just words is kind of hard.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, if this is an 88 and you have a CEL - we can assume this is a LXi which is fuel injected?

Edit: dang I'm slow at typing....I see TX already posted.

iggys-amsoil 02-14-2014 10:29 PM

Its fuel injected lxi.
I could do a sound bit but take awhile, i need to get the passwords and upload it. Havent done that in awhile.

iggys-amsoil 04-02-2014 01:09 AM

R&R the Starter. Works perfectly.

If it were cold enough out here in Cali. it would act almost normal, maybe weak. once the starter heated up just enough then starting the car would as discribed above.

holmesnmanny 04-18-2014 04:12 AM

almost all the time all thats needed is the $15 starter contacts just need replacing .. starters are built to last

iggys-amsoil 04-18-2014 06:18 PM

Umm.. ya. I did that once on a toyota altenator.

This was a rebuilt from auto zone to begin with so I took it back, Life time warranty, free exchange. :)