Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine malfunction indicator lamp / Engine Check (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-malfunction-indicator-lamp-engine-check-8109/)

blahblah 03-11-2007 01:45 PM

Engine malfunction indicator lamp / Engine Check

I shifted down from 4th to 3rd to change down into vtec and overtook a car when this light came on.

I did a search on this forum and found the following post which is almost identical to my situation. This post is as follows

" I own a 2002 Honda Accord 4-cylinder 2-door automatic sport coupe.

I'm at 67,000 KM right now.

Just last night, while I was driving home from work (on the highway), my car's MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP came on. This was the very 1st time that I had ever witnessed this light...

I noticed that it came on almost at the same time that I had downshifted from 4th to 3rd gear. I was going rather steadily..

I drove home, parked, and immediately checked my owner's manual (in glove comp't). The manual specified that I check the gas cap, which i did and it was fine. I noticed that the manual specified to wait "3 driving trips" before making any plans to visit my Honda dealer...

Well, I made those 3 trips, and the light still hasn't dissappeared.

I called Honda, and my advisor said that she 'hated' that light and that that specific light could be many possible problems (including possibly the transmission) , and that i would have to bring the car in in about a week to check it (at a cost of $70 just to check if there's a problem!!!??!??!).

Your thoughts plz....... "

It happened in the same situation (downshifting) and my oil level was very low. I have topped it up and went for a drive and the car felt absolutely fine. I went into vtec once (4500rpm) as a test when the engine was warm. The engine note changed as usual and I get the usual acceleration.

However the malfunction indicator lamp has not gone off. I thought once I did the oil change and the problem no longer occured the light would go off. If the problem was only oil is this something that needs to reset? Can I do this myself or do I need to go to the dealership?

The other possibility is that the problem was not low oil, but my situation is so similiar to the other post that it seems unlikely.

My car is an 00 Honda Accord 2.0 SE Executive and I live in England.

Link to post with identical problem:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_10605/tm.htm

Thanks for any information on this issue.

Ollie

legionofone 03-11-2007 07:07 PM

RE: Engine malfunction indicator lamp / Engine Check

a low oil level will throw a check engine light with vtec because... it uses oil pressure to activate the vtec soleinoid...

no when ur dealer told u to take it on a drive cycle it means a drive that activates ALL monitors... (the things that check the signal from ur engines sensors to make sure everthing is working correctly) but badly for u it takes 40 drive cycles without a error to clear the MIL now if u have a parts store around u can run down to them and they can clear ur mil light for free...

Chiovnidca 03-16-2007 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

if u have a parts store around u can run down to them and they can clear ur mil light for free...

Or you can do it yourself by dicsonnecting the battery for about 15 seconds.

legionofone 03-16-2007 07:51 PM

and loose ur adaptive memory... bad idea

Chiovnidca 03-17-2007 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: legionofone

and loose ur adaptive memory... bad idea
It takes it about 10 minutes to relearn. :)

deserthonda 03-18-2007 02:33 PM

or he can go to our DIY section and read up on the post ( how to clear ecu ) ..