Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Engine swap for a 99 Accord EX (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-swap-99-accord-ex-10277/)

accord4sroy 06-12-2007 10:48 AM

Engine swap for a 99 Accord EX

Ok, even though I don't have to think about this for a long long time cause my 1999 Accord EX has about 150,000 miles, I still was wondering would anyone switch out there I4 for a V6. It would be a lot of work cause you would have to change the drivetrain/transmission, motor mounts, etc. Otherwise, I was considering putting in a supercharger (again this is all way down the road, but its fun to speculate). Anyways, any thoughts would be highly appreciaited! This forum has always been good to me, and do a lot of you guys have your own "Honda" shop? Cause if you do you can make a ton of money.

I have just noticed in the last half a year to a year a lot of people are driving the 5th generation and 6th generation Accords. Even old ladies!

00AccordLX5spd 06-12-2007 11:56 AM

RE: Engine swap for a 99 Accord EX

The general consensus I have seen is it would be way too expensive to try to swapfrom an I4 to aV6 in a 6th gen. You'd be better off swapping an H22.
Here is a site that may help you out. These guys do TONS of swaps: www.6thGenAccord.com
I go to that site a decent bit now, but I will never stop coming here:)
One of the new members on therehas an engine from a Honda Pilot or an Oddessy. I think it is actually the block from a Pilot with the heads from an Oddessy or vice versa...something crazy like thatthough...oh yeah...it'sgot a supercharger on it too[sm=jawdrop.gif]

accord4sroy 06-12-2007 12:29 PM

Is the H22 the motor from the current generation of Accords?

00AccordLX5spd 06-12-2007 03:44 PM

No, the H22 is from the'97-'01 Prelude. They make about 200hp. They are DOHC I4's unlike our SOHC F23(I4) engines in these '98-'02 accords.
The swap is supposed to be pretty straightforward (uses the same motor mounts, etc..) Some H22 sellers will include a tranny for an additional cost, but I believe you can use the current tranny that is in your accord right now.
Or you could rebuild your F23 and install a turbo. I'm not sure which one would cost more. If you plan on getting a turbo, A lot of the guys on here like to use the F23 instead of the H22.

accord4sroy 06-12-2007 11:58 PM

Would you go with a turbo or a supercharger? That's the decision I think I would make way down the road, just cause I have had some body work done because before the car was truly mine it hit some curves. Anyways, I want to keep this car forever. Does anyone know what would be cheaper a turbo or a supercharger?

Chiovnidca 06-13-2007 06:03 AM

I like turbos. :)

00AccordLX5spd 06-13-2007 08:51 AM

I have never seen a supercharger on a 4cyl before. I have seen a few on V6's. Most people with the Fseries I4 go the turbo route. In fact, I'm not even sure if they make superchargers for the Fseries engines. Superchargers are more expensive. Do a search using the search function. I know there are a few threads that discuss turbo vs. supercharger.

accord4sroy 06-13-2007 10:34 AM

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't worry too much about lag, since I am not racing anyone except for getting onto the highway. So, I am sure the turbo would help in that application. Thanks a lot for your insights.

00AccordLX5spd 06-13-2007 02:46 PM

I like the sound of a blow off valve anyway, so I would vote for a turbo vs a supercharger. Plus it looks like you would have to have a supercharger custom made for the 4cyl...I saw it in another thread.

hondawisher 06-14-2007 10:39 PM

is it possible to have a twin turbo on a honda accord?