Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   engine thumping on acceleration (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/engine-thumping-acceleration-43331/)

joncnca 10-12-2011 10:21 PM

engine thumping on acceleration

hi,

i just started noticing today that when i step on the accelerator, i hear a low thumping noise coming from the engine, which i also feel through the accelerator pedal. no sound when on idle or when not stepping on the accelerator. thumping is rhythmic about 3-4 per second.

2003 honda accord 4 cylinder sedan (SE).

btw, usually when i'm stepping on the brake pedal in gear, the engine/dashboard seems to vibrate somewhat. no vibration when in neutral. but that has been the case for a while, so i wasn't that too concerned about that, but this thumping thing appears to be new.

something that holds the motor in place maybe?

thanks!

Xx94AccordLxX 10-13-2011 10:27 AM

check your transaxle mounts or your CV Joints they cold be worn or damaged

joncnca 10-16-2011 04:08 PM

i think you're right, Xx94AccordLxX.

i took the car to my mechanic, and he said the axles are binding. appears like both sides.

thinking back, the car has exhibited some minor vibration on acceleration for a while, but i figured it's just because it's been worked pretty thoroughly .. i'm up to about 290,000km. i think perhaps one side was already binding or worn, and more recently the second one gave out and i started noticing the vibration much more?

Xx94AccordLxX 10-17-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by joncnca (Post 258217)
i think you're right, Xx94AccordLxX.

i took the car to my mechanic, and he said the axles are binding. appears like both sides.

thinking back, the car has exhibited some minor vibration on acceleration for a while, but i figured it's just because it's been worked pretty thoroughly .. i'm up to about 290,000km. i think perhaps one side was already binding or worn, and more recently the second one gave out and i started noticing the vibration much more?

yes its your cv joints and axles dont forget too check your ball bearings too while your at it my car needs new axles because every time i make a sharp it has a clicking noise which only means yes my axles are goin bad and its better too just replace them whole rather than rebuild the axle

joncnca 10-17-2011 09:56 PM

i certainly hope there's nothing wrong with the bearings, i replaced both the left and right ones about 100,000km ago (mostly highway)..and i try not to be too aggressive when i drive.

seriously, it's up to 290,000km....i'm not sure how much longer it'll last. i go through probably 50,000km per year, so i wonder when i should stop doing repairs and consider buying another car......(tear to my eye...)

Xx94AccordLxX 10-19-2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by joncnca (Post 258327)
i certainly hope there's nothing wrong with the bearings, i replaced both the left and right ones about 100,000km ago (mostly highway)..and i try not to be too aggressive when i drive.

seriously, it's up to 290,000km....i'm not sure how much longer it'll last. i go through probably 50,000km per year, so i wonder when i should stop doing repairs and consider buying another car......(tear to my eye...)

hondas last forever if you take good care of them and if you want for cheaper just do a motor swap with less mileage or if you really want a newer car go for it! :)

joncnca 10-20-2011 11:48 AM

how much would a motor swap cost??? that seems pretty major.

i mean, it'd be less than a new car i guess, but if it's like 4-5000, the whole car isn't even worth that much anymore, lol.

poorman212 10-20-2011 05:43 PM

I think you are fine with the motor.....For a shop to do the work, you'd prob be looking in that range. I'd have the "shake" corrected and keep up with any maint items and you should be good for some time.

joncnca 10-21-2011 07:26 AM

ok so that's fixed the vibration problem, cv joints and axles.

here's hoping there aren't any other big repairs. i keep the car in generally good repair, i take it into the shop for oil changes every 5000km, and they look around for damage while they're at it.