Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Extending the Life of my Transmission? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/extending-life-my-transmission-23116/)

artman101 01-23-2009 11:44 AM

Extending the Life of my Transmission?

Hi, I own a 2002 EX V6. Had the Tranny Replaced in April of 2008, after 73,000 miles. What steps do I need to take to get this one to last the next few years. I've heard that you need to have the tranny serviced every 30,000 and possibly put a tranny cooler on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

finch13 01-23-2009 11:53 AM

RE: Extending the Life of my Transmission?

- Drain/refill the fluid once a year or so.

- Invest in the $30 Hayden 403 transmission cooler found at most parts stores.

artman101 01-23-2009 11:59 AM

This is an Automatic, is that kit hard to install or do I need to have a garage do it for me.

Tippman7641 01-23-2009 12:05 PM

DO NOT GET FLUSHES!!! NOT OIL CHANGES when it comes to tranny fluid, driving dose not afffect the failrure of these transmissions either

Edit: i was thinking og the wrong generation of trannies but STILL get FLUSHES NOT changes

Falkore Edit: DO NOT get a power flush on an automatic Honda transmission. This can kill it!!!

finch13 01-23-2009 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Tippman7641

GET FLUSHES!!! NOT OIL CHANGES when it comes to tranny fluid, driving dose not afffect the failrure of these transmissions either

Edit: i was thinking og the wrong generation of trannies but STILL get FLUSHES NOT changes

^ Stop telling people to get flushes. Accord automatics hate flushes. Draining and refilling the fluid is by far the best thing you can do to extend the life.

As far as the cooler goes, it mounts in front of the radiator and you connect the cooling lines of the transmission to it. You can have a shop do it, but in the end its not that hard.

Unfortunately the 6th gen (1998-2002) automatics have a high failure rate and its likely to go out on you again.

Tippman7641 01-23-2009 12:32 PM

O.O i have always een told flushes

finch13 01-23-2009 12:39 PM

Because its a cheap way for a shop to make money. What happens is the flushing machine circulates solvents through the transmission, removing particles, then bam!, the machine reverses flow and plugs up the accumulator passages. At least thats what Ive read.

Tippman7641 01-23-2009 12:43 PM

ive done(usee to work at a shop) it differently lol, it drains out the exsiting fluid, uses new fluid to actually flush all the all dirt and contaiments in their, then we would just keep flushing fresh fluid through untill it came out the same color that it went in, then we would cap it and fill it like normal

takes like 10 mins to flush, i did it on my blaze worked GREAT

artman101 01-23-2009 01:27 PM

Ok so, I had my transmission changed in 08..wouldn't they have put a newer honda transmission in...that wouldn't fail again. how much does it cost to have the transmission fluid changed and what kind should they be using??

finch13 01-23-2009 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: artman101

Ok so, I had my transmission changed in 08..wouldn't they have put a newer honda transmission in...that wouldn't fail again. how much does it cost to have the transmission fluid changed and what kind should they be using??
They just replace them with a new or refurb of the same model tranny, there isnt a newer one. Its a design flaw and cant be "fixed".

Fluid change labor = $0 in your garage
Fluid is Honda Genuine ATF-Z1, about $6-8/quart at the dealership. You need 3 qts. per change and its recomended to drain/fill it 3x to dilute all of the old fluid (torque converter doesnt drain all the way). So your looking at 9 qts of this stuff, or at least 3 if its too expensive.